new tint law in texas...taking effect in september

Guest thetintshop

the atr 35 charcoal I use meters at 38 all by itself, the darkest clear factory glass I have seen is 70%, combine that with the 38 and it comes out to a net of 26.60. if the new law will be 25% net then nothing has changed basicly for me, this film should be safe. I know some films that say they are 35% are actually 32 or the like but the ATR 35 is 38. those people that use 30% film will be 21% with 70% clear glass now thats too low.

Guest Braud Spectrum

Any of you guys seen those gray cards with the dot matrix for checking the light transmission on the side windows? Each one was a darker color and if you held it up to the glass and could read the words the dots made thru the glass it was legal. I haven't seen those in quite a while.

The police went nuts when they changed the law in '88 on giving people tickets. I had to write many letters to the judge because they would read the meter and if it read anything lower than 35% they gave out tickets. Imbeciles. pulleazzee.gif They'd come by here to ask me to interpret the law for them. Especially when they came out with those idiotic meters ! Many a ticket was thrown out because they'd gotten carried away with those stupid things.

Guest metint

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlo/78R/bil...xt/SB00345F.HTM

The way it read to me was that the only thing changing is they are setting a 'net' (film/glass) limit.

It begins by stating 'except' and goes on to list those exceptions. Examples: As long as the film/glass combination on the sides, wings and windscreen meet the 25% net, the law does not affect that vehicle. 1, 2, 3, ... 15 are all exceptions to the law. So rear window are an exception... the law does not apply. Factory tinted that meet fed standards... the law does not apply.

This is what I come to understand of the new Texas law.

Tinting should not be affected if you are already comlying with 35% on all sides windows and whatever on the rear glass as well as what may currently exist for SUV.

They have just set a very distinct 'net' limit is all.

If this is correct it will be a winner for window tinters in Texas, they don't need to worry about a 35% net, which is what the state was first seeking.

Guest SQUEEGEE

It's really disheartening to see that lawmakers from around the country are slowly but surely putting a stranglehold on the tint industry.

They cite officer safety and so forth. I beg to disagree here.

When I've tinted for people whom I percieve to have little regard for the law it is they themselves who request a lighter shade of film so as to not draw attention to themselves from the fuzz.

Anyone else experience this?

I cannot imagine how hard tightened tint laws in Cali and Illinois have affected the automotive side of the business.

I've also heard that lawmakers are in the early stages of trying to put restrictions on the residential side of the business as well citing what else? Officer safety (Dr*g raids and hunting down criminals etc.)

:lol6

Mdog is right... this really does not change anything, or it shouldn't for a reputable tinter. 25% net on all side windows is the way it has been. As far as anything different only OEM windows on trucks and SUV's have a lower net % on the sides. I am glad to see the bill changed from 35% to 25% net, if it had not then it would have had a huge affect on the Texas tinter! Thanks to TD.com we are able to keep well informed and lobby for one another. I sent my email!!!

Thanks for the easy link MDOG when it first came out that we might be facing this! I've missed ya and the Bogaman.

TTC :bs

:lol6:lol:rollin

Guest thetintshop

here it is--

as of sept. 1st, we are allowed to have 25% net on the side of a car, and 25% net on the front of MPVs. basically nothing has changed. but one thing has, the + or - 3% is gone. no more 30% and 32% film. if the officers meter reads 24.4% or below, your ass gets a ticket. police officers will also begin cracking down on this date, and they say there will be no "warning tickets for the first few months." ON SEPT. 1ST, IF YOUR WINDOWS ARE ILLEGAL, YOU GET A TICKET. they also took away the grandfather clause for 87 and down. now they have to comply on the all sides also. hopefully this will stop all the jackasses from tinting the rear doors on a car with 5%. it just looks like s**t anyway.

if you have been abiding by the law the whole time, this really has no effect on you. except you may get to take some illegal off for some people. (I charge double to remove illegal film) you may want to get a meter and see what your current film is registering at, just to be safe.

Archived