How can they say this?!?!?

I got a Q&A sheet for one of the film companies, and under the Q? about the difference in film brands, they say "Many of our competitors use adhesives that will damage the surface of the glass".

Does *any* adhesive damage glass surfaces???

RoAcH

Guest skeeter

Improper removal of certain films using chemically bonded adhesives may be more prone to scratch than removal of your typical pressure sensitive adhesive. That is all I can imagine the qoute was stating in a rather misleading way.

Hmm.. If they are speaking about removal of film, then it is misleading since just by reading I think a person would assume they are talking about the installation, not the removal.

It just struck me as odd when I was reading it last nite....

RoAcH

Guest metint

Sounds typical sales tactics of a household name brand... :evileye

I never understand why a well known name has to rely on that type of salesmanship in order to sell their products. :lol

Guest Film_Guru

If the spec sheet you are referring to is the same one I have in front of me with the same verbage, it's from a relatively new manufacturer, not who you are thinking of metint.

Chemically bonding to glass with adhesive changes the glass permanently. To most people is damaging the glass. Unbroken, glass has a life expectancy of hundreds, even thousands of years. The best film made today has a relatively short life expectancy and will need to be removed someday. If the adhesive can not be completely removed, the glass is damaged.

If you look in the short term of a one time installation this statement may be uncomfortable, but in the long term it is very true.

When we remove a film that has the dry type adhesive system, it is never completely removed. it might look clean, but there is a residule. The glass does not react the same, and the film tacks too quickly.

Found that to be the same downunder as well Tman.

Devil :thumb

adhesive changes the glass permanently

I have found this to be true even with PS (especially S&S film adhesive), however to a lesser degree compared to a chemical bond...

Just today I tried something on CDF and found it to make removal much, much easier... :tt Now only to find someone to finance and see the idea through... :hmmm I wonder if my employer would be interested. :thumb:tt

Archived