Anyone tint a new Mercedes CLS yet?

Guest Litespeeds

Guest Litespeeds

Thought I'd post here first as most people don't surf the auto forum. We had a brand new 2005 Mercedes CLS which is a 4 door sedan that we tried to tint but couldn't figure out how to get the rear deck lid off. That back lid almost presses onto the back glass and we can't get any tools between the lid and glass. What a nightmare. Right now I am trying to get the schematics for the rear deck lid removal so we can tackle this job. If anyone out there has done one, please help. Thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JUSTIN
Thought I'd post here first as most people don't surf the auto forum.  We had a brand new 2005 Mercedes CLS which is a 4 door sedan that we tried to tint but couldn't figure out how to get the rear deck lid off.  That back lid almost presses onto the back glass and we can't get any tools between the lid and glass.  What a nightmare.  Right now I am trying to get the schematics for the rear deck lid removal so we can tackle this job.  If anyone out there has done one, please help.  Thanks.

[*]274146

A lot of the newer mercedes that I have tinted, their rear decks are split in half. The rear deck has a seam running lenght wise, and is in two pieces. If you pry up the seam of the deck (the seam and the rear portion of the deck), and pull towards you, the rear deck and brake light will come out. Hope this makes sense and helps you. Good luck.

Thought I'd post here first as most people don't surf the auto forum.  We had a brand new 2005 Mercedes CLS which is a 4 door sedan that we tried to tint but couldn't figure out how to get the rear deck lid off.  That back lid almost presses onto the back glass and we can't get any tools between the lid and glass.  What a nightmare.  Right now I am trying to get the schematics for the rear deck lid removal so we can tackle this job.  If anyone out there has done one, please help.  Thanks.

[*]274146

Hey, I've done plenty so far, its not easy, but you have to use the slim foot tool to get below the brake light. I use the sideswiper tool to push the deck down, then I use the slim foot to squeegy the film below the brake light. I dont think its worth taking out the deck!!

If you have any questions please call me. Tom

Guest Litespeeds

[*]274146

Hey, I've done plenty so far, its not easy, but you have to use the slim foot tool to get below the brake light. I use the sideswiper tool to push the deck down, then I use the slim foot to squeegy the film below the brake light. I dont think its worth taking out the deck!!

If you have any questions please call me. Tom

[*]274291

I haven't personally tried tinting one yet but one of my guys couldn't do it. I don't think he has a slim foot so I guess he is out of luck. I might need to tackle this one personally to see if I am able to do it. Thanks for the suggestions Tom.

hey LITESPEEDS, so how'd it go?

we did one today and let me tell you, not easy, we were able to remove the whole deck everything, seats, the whole chabang, first you have to remove the head rests, then in order to remove those headrest they have a safety lock on the inside which are pretty much not visible, im almost afraid to say on here how we were able to get those things out, after taclking the headrests, then on to the rear deck removal, before removing the rear deck its got this big o 10" speaker which you have to disconnect cables from the deck and from inside of the trunk underneat 4 10mm bolts you have to take out, after that it comes out by turning the whole unit (speaker) and the whole thing come out, its about 2ft long. after that take out the whole deck and be careful when taking out, or else you can rip the upholestry. I took pics with my "regular" camera when I get them developed I'll post some on here. in my opinion I think its the headrests that cause a problem taking out. :coffee

Guest Litespeeds

I haven't been on the boards lately but I have personally tinted 3 CLS's and have taught one of my guys how to do it. We don't take apart the rear deck tray but we do use the bulldozer which is a better tool than the sideswiper. Still not an easy back glass but it is definitely doable.

Guest nwflboy

Try the '06 CLS 500...everything is riveted in instead of bolts, nuts or clips. Tinted the sides but not the rear window. I welcome any input short of drilling the rivets.

Archived