Ladders - and sliding 16 feet to the floor

Guest Rama

Hired a new guy. 1st day on the job. He's 16 ft. up, working in a new house, hardwood floor, hasn't been cleaned yet, so some sawdust on the floor. Well...he's a big guy - tall and 230 lbs. Guess what happens? Ladder starts to slide down the wall, and into the window below it, down that till it finally comes to rest in the lower window sill. He frantically tries to grab the upper sill on his downhill slide, leaves some fingerprints on it. So, what ya think happens when 230 lbs go sliding down a wall? Not nearly as much as one might think! We got real lucky with minor damage to the paint and sills - missed the lower glass by 100th of an inch. House is not totally done, so no big deal, builder is taking care of damage without charging us. And my new guy, only damage was a nasty gouge on his shin, and he really really really didn't want to go back up that ladder. He just got out of the army after 11 years, don't know what sliding down a wall on a ladder had on that!!

We all were very lucky in this one. Moral of the story? Never set up an extension ladder on hardwood with sawdust on it and #2, just to be on the safe side, if ladders are needed - send 2 guys out on the job. :coffee

Guest tint4less
We all were very lucky in this one.  Moral of the story?  Never set up an extension ladder on hardwood with sawdust on it and #2, just to be on the safe side, if ladders are needed - send 2 guys out on the job.  :coffee

[*]289522

good advice there :rollin

Guest tint rookie

or just opt for a genie tm12, mx19, sl26. 100 bucks to gaurauntee the job getting finished in one day without injury to boot. just include it in your bid next time.

stay away from the 24' smu's though, they are scarrier than ladders.

Guest VOLTRON

was working for this guy last year and one of my fellow employess and I were tinting these 8 4x6 windows and he was on the extension ladder to my left and it was wood floors. looked down to grab my hose and saw his ladder sliding back and jumped underneath and held the ladder up for a few seconds so he could grab the window sil and moved the ladder and he jumped down.

dood weighed like 50 pounds more then me and man I felt like was holding up a car.

but prevented the ladder from hitting the glass and ripping the sech film off the windows and not breaking them either.

took a break after that fer about 10 minutes to get the heart rate back to normal.

Hired a new guy.  1st day on the job.  He's 16 ft. up, working in a new house, hardwood floor, hasn't been cleaned yet, so some sawdust on the floor.  Well...he's a big guy - tall and 230 lbs.  Guess what happens?  Ladder starts to slide down the wall, and into the window below it, down that till it finally comes to rest in the lower window sill.  He frantically tries to grab the upper sill on his downhill slide, leaves some fingerprints on it.  So, what ya think happens when 230 lbs go sliding down a wall?  Not nearly as much as one might think!  We got real lucky with minor damage to the paint and sills - missed the lower glass by 100th of an inch.  House is not totally done, so no big deal, builder is taking care of damage without charging us.  And my new guy, only damage was a nasty gouge on his shin, and he really really really didn't want to go back up that ladder.  He just got out of the army after 11 years, don't know what sliding down a wall on a ladder had on that!! 

We all were very lucky in this one.  Moral of the story?  Never set up an extension ladder on hardwood with sawdust on it and #2, just to be on the safe side, if ladders are needed - send 2 guys out on the job.  :cooldot

[*]289522

another moral, don't let a new guy do a job on an extension ladder 1st day.

That is my worst fear.. I never had any problems, but every time I'm using my ladder in the extention mode, I'm scared to death about falling.

Using it as an A-frame - no problems. I will hang off the ladder 15 ft. up in the air by one leg inbetween two of the rungs reaching for an arch... Home owners think I'm nuts, but I feel very, very secure on the LittleGiant ladders. :hug

RoAcH

Guest TINTED 75
When I have to do those types of windows with hardwood floors, I place a soft rubber mat under the ladder :dunno

It won't slip and won't scratch :dunno

[*]291911

Its not always the ladder you have to worry about , its the force of gravity that goes with it ,and the sudden stop at the bottom......we should be scared shitless because if we were not , we would get careless!!!!

always safety over money ..living by this I have been doing this for 13 years and on a ladder usually 15-40 ft up everyday and never had a incident yet . :dunno

Archived