Peeling rear BG.....wish me luck....

Guest redgtxdi

Guest redgtxdi

OK, here goes nothin'. I graduate today from old-school to new school. Back in the day, I'd have taken a razor blade to this thing & just taken some time & cursed a bit.

I'm sure the cursing may still be there........(it's just therapeutic)......but I'm baggin' this one & we'll see what happens.

Rather than ammonia, I opted for 409.......(didn't have any Simple Green layin' around)........and I used PLENTY so we'll see how she works. It's not hot today, but it's hot in the sun, so I've got the back glass pointin' right at it. Been sittin' for about 10 minutes now so I'll give it a bit more, then go out & start peelin'.

I forgot to take pics from the start, so here's a pic of the bag trimmed & installed and you can also see why I'm peelin' this one. It's a good, clear purple......(though however did it, did a nice trim job)....but even the shrunken fingers are faded thru so you can see exactly where they were..........

Outside pic........(look for faded finger ghosting along the bottom)......

http://img311.imageshack.us/img311/4656/img33165lt.jpg

Inside pic..........(rear deck removed, brake light removed, speakers bagged & double-toweled).......

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/9131/img33185jr.jpg

Guest redgtxdi

Wow!!!

That sooooo totally did not work!!!! (sheesh!!!)

I tried to keep both layers together but NO JOY!!!

Now I'm down to peelin' inch by tiny inch w/ razor blades!!!

OK..........I'm done w/ that. Goin' down to buy a steamer now!!! BRB!

Guest MidcoastMW

good luck man!!!! I have an intrepid to do soon that is waaaaay faded and purp. As in your case, you can see all the shrink marks and everything... Im hopin the bag method will work for me.

Guest Sprinter

just did a civic today with starting to go purple film and bagged it for 2 hours with amonia and it peeled right off with just a few small spots of glue left behind, have tryed the 409 and it did'nt work out for me. 2 hours cause I had something eles to do came back later and did the job.

Guest redgtxdi
just did a civic today with starting to go purple film and bagged it for 2 hours with amonia and it peeled right off with just a few small spots of glue left behind, have tryed the 409 and it did'nt work out for me. 2 hours cause I had something eles to do came back later and did the job.

[*]334438

Kudos Sprinter. I wouldn't wish my results this morning on anyone.

This afternooon, however.................... :whisper

After I picked up some film to replace it.......(realized my 2' roll was going to be about a 1/4" short of touching top to bottom in center........*LITERALLY*!!! Ooohhh....bummer). So I needed some from a taller roll).............at my local tint shop, I asked the guy if he preferred to steam or bag & he said usually bag, but more often lately, steam. OK, so he asked if I was havin' trouble, what car, etc. etc. I explained that it *didn't* have defroster lines.........sooooo.....

Long story short..............HE OFFERED ME UP HIS SCRAPER!!!!!!!! I said, "Sure, thanks!!". I gave him $20 to hold in case I broke it or never came back w/ it & he was cool w/ that. (very nice guy).

Anyway, WHAT A TOOL!!!! I literally had the whole back glass scraped in about 20 minutes!!!

This is basically it.........what a dream...............

post-15896-1131245009.jpg

No defroster! that biotch would have been scraped in heartbeat! :trustme If they got a defroster I usually bag them with ammonia, but I do have a steamer that I have only used a couple of times during the winter! :whisper

Guest redgtxdi

Ya, but remember...........BAG DIDN'T WORK................NOT EVEN A BIT!!!!!!!!

And this stuff was STUCK!!! This tint was about 10yrs old and lived most of its life in the state of Texas!!!

In a heartbeat, my @$$!!!!!!!!

No defroster! that biotch would have been scraped in heartbeat! :rollin  If they got a defroster I usually bag them with ammonia, but I do have a steamer that I have only used a couple of times during the winter! :whisper

[*]334483

everytime I get one of those non defroster back windows.

I get a big grin on my face scraping the shiat out of it, imagining its a defroster :trustme

No defroster! that biotch would have been scraped in heartbeat! :mad?  If they got a defroster I usually bag them with ammonia, but I do have a steamer that I have only used a couple of times during the winter! :trustme

[*]334483

everytime I get one of those non defroster back windows.

I get a big grin on my face scraping the shiat out of it, imagining its a defroster :rollin

[*]334498

:krazy:whisper

Ya, but remember...........BAG DIDN'T WORK................NOT EVEN A BIT!!!!!!!!

And this stuff was STUCK!!!  This tint was about 10yrs old and lived most of its life in the state of Texas!!!

In a heartbeat, my @$$!!!!!!!!

[*]334485

Dont use 409, try ammonia hard head!

Archived