Vinyl top precaution

I'm putting this here after reading a horror story on someone having to replace a vinyl top for a customer due to a heatgun mishap.

This is for the newbie ..or the seasoned pro:

I'm not a fan of doing tint when it comes to vinyl tops..but when I do,the first thing I do is get out 3 " wide masking tape and go all along the perimeter of the back glass with the width of the tape covering the first 3 " of vinyl surrounding the back glass(only takes 1 minute)

When heating the back window, ..if your gun is in one area a little too long..it will start to darken the tape BEFORE it will burn or discolor the expensive vinyl..in otherwords..as soon as you see the tape start to turn color..take away heatgun and move it to other area needed or allow t ocool down B4 proceeding with heating again.

This 1 minute preventative measure will prevent an unhappy customer ...and an unhappy tinter :lol6

Thats a good idea esp if it only takes a min. I know a new vinyl top will run a few hundred buck's :lol

[*]340217

:lol It's a no brainer if only takes a minute..costs pennies ..and avoids potential 100's of $$ in damage :lol

Archived