defroster line damage

Guest MidcoastMW

Guest MidcoastMW

I think I remember someone telling me that pulling off old tint on a back glass without using a steamer or sweating it could damage some of the defroster lines. Is this true??? I havent had to strip any tint more than a couple weeks old, so I havent had a problem.

Yeah it can happen. I had it happenon a 05 mazda 6 sedan back last summer, brand new car from the dealer...customer was overly picky and we tried to please him and when I peeled the tint fro the corner it started to take the lines off :DD we had to by a brand new rear window.

This was the only car I have had this happen to in years, it can happen though.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I stripped a back glass on a 95 mustang a few months back and the tint peeled right off clean with no glue, but all the defrost lines were stuck to the back of the old film. I sweated it off with ammonia and plastic. I thought it was strange how the film came off easy and the defrost still came with it.

I just posted on this a few weeks back, we had a guy who brought back his 1990 el dorado because he was'nt happy with his film choice (wanted it more reflective) so we told him we would retint it for a nominal fee. Film had been on for only 2 weeks so my guy pulls the film off and the lines came off partially with the film. Cost us $500! :DD

Yeah it can happen. I had it happenon a 05 mazda 6 sedan back last summer, brand new car from the dealer...customer was overly picky and we tried to please him and when I peeled the tint fro the corner it started to take the lines off :DD we had to by a brand new rear window.

This was the only car I have had this happen to in years, it can happen though.

[*]351446

those are the ones that have more luck to have happen shiat too

man that sux brothas

I would never grab a piece of film and pull if it is on more than 30 minuites

without bagging, or steam

I would rather recover a headliner from steam, than buy a new back glass anyday

Old Nissans are the worst, I tell people with 89-94-ish Maximas,"you ARE going to lose your defroster"

And, on a similar note, I did car a few weeks ago, don't remember what it was, but, after I sweated off the tint and was doing my final prep with steel wool to remove any excess glue, the defroster wiped off the window. The 409 dissolved the defroster somehow.......... crazy, never seen that.

Archived