I have questions

Guest metint

Guest MidcoastMW
You must have not tried, or effictively completed the drop dry method. It is the only way to do the MATRIX. Drop the film to the end of the MATRIX, Let it dry, then slowly and carefully push it back on. VIOLA!

[*]354268

:evilgrin Can you put this in a little more detail please? Ive never heard of this method.

I did the next door neighbor of my film reps eclipse about four years ago maybe longer. he had me do it on the side when I worked for a place to try that new technique out. the last time I asked him was about a year ago and he said it still looks good. but I can get eclipse dots down w/o glue. so I dont know if this time it was due to the glue. I want to see a mustang I did with glue 4 years ago. then that would be enough proof that it lasts. but I still do the glue dots.

You must have not tried, or effictively completed the drop dry method. It is the only way to do the MATRIX. Drop the film to the end of the MATRIX, Let it dry, then slowly and carefully push it back on. VIOLA!

[*]354268

:beer Can you put this in a little more detail please? Ive never heard of this method.

[*]354290

same as if you would glue it but instead of glue just let it air dry, when the glass and tint is dry, then slowly squeegee the tint up.

or you can use rain-x on the dots, it displaces the water and sticks the tint fast.

[*]354268

:beer Can you put this in a little more detail please? Ive never heard of this method.

[*]354290

In detail, courtesy llumartech.com:

9) Use the "Drop-Dry" method to install over dot matrix

Another way, probably one of the most effective of all, of removing all application solution from the matrix area is known as the "Drop-Dry" method. The concept is to install the film normally but immediately pull back the film to expose all on only the matrix along the top of the rear window and then allow the exposed adhesive and matrix area to dry thoroughly (10 minutes to 1 hour). A careful push-down of the dry film onto the dry glass/matrix should provide an instant and more uniform bond. The method is detailed as follows:

1) After prepping the glass for film installation according to factory recommendations (See TBA-01), install the film as one would under normal circumstances, including the matrix region. Try, however, to use minimal Film-On (or baby shampoo) in your slip solution in the matrix area.

2) Perform all squeegee and hard-carding to finish out the installation.

3) At this point, the film should carefully be pulled back off the matrix area only. Do not pull back into the glass area! Stop the downward pull about ? inch from the clear glass region.

4) Allow this pulled-back film to hang free, exposed to the air for approximately 10 minutes to one hour, depending on air temperature and humidity. One hour works well in areas with 50-80% relative humidity. In the desert Southwest, with humidity ranging from 5-15%, 10-20 minutes should be sufficient in the summer. Wintertime indoor heating has a tendency to be very dry, so the one-hour rule should work well virtually anywhere. Adjust the time needed for drying in accordance with atmospheric conditions to obtain the best results. This drying period allows the application solution that has been absorbed into the adhesive during squeegeeing to evaporate. You may reduce the drying time needed by warming up the glass a bit with the heat gun (on the low-temp setting) blowing on the exterior surface, so as to dry out the retained moisture in the matrix area.

5) After the drying time has elapsed, use a Teflon hard card wrapped in layer of soft cotton cloth (diaper) to begin stroking the film down in ?" bands into the matrix surface. This first stroke should begin at lower center of pane at the point where the film leaves the glass. The second stroke should begin again in the middle and slide out to the opposite side, again only attacking  a thin, ?" wide band of film. Repeat this alternate stroking from the middle out, gradually nailing the film down in thin swaths until you have seated the entire film flap down to the glass.

Note: Care must be taken not to torque or twist the film or to hurry through the process. Once it sticks, there?s no pulling back. The mounting adhesive is not as forgiving as pin striping adhesive. This is essentially a way of laying the film?s adhesive directly to the matrix surface using absolutely no liquid solutions ? a "trap no air, take no prisoners" approach. Rust problems developing days later from retained moisture are eliminated.

Feedback from those who have mastered this technique: "? Absolutely fabulous!" Admittedly, there will remain windows that will be a problem, but this technique adds much to the installer's arsenal of tricks in the battle to conquer the Matrix.

Archived