Preparing paint surface for PPF

Guest sa tinter

Guest sa tinter

Starting out with ppf and really looking to do a good job after some practice.

Need to get the basics right though.

When preparing the paited surface for application with venture shield - how would you suggest I clean the surface ( not a brand new car ).

For instance do I need to clay it after a good wash down etc?????? :DD

Is there a way to ensure that dirt wont creep in under the trimmed edges? :blah

Last question: soapie dishwashing solution or Johnson baby shampoo? :DD

Starting out with ppf and really looking to do a good job after some practice.

Need to get the basics right though.

When preparing the paited surface for application with venture shield - how would you suggest I clean the surface ( not a brand new car ).

For instance do I need to clay it after a good wash down etc?????? :lol2

Is there a way to ensure that dirt wont creep in under the trimmed edges? :krazy

Last question: soapie dishwashing solution or Johnson baby shampoo? :lol

[*]358104

1) use wax and grease remover then alcohal and clean the hole hood, fenders, mirrors, ect

2) the PPF should stick and not let dirt creep in under the edges

3) 2 bottles, 1 has water and very little soap, less then tint solution, 1 has half water and half alchoal. use the soap to slip and position, then hinge the middle, and lift then wash off soap with alchoal solution and stick the other side.

its alot more complicated then this but its the basics. and Im sure others have their way of doing it, you might try blade or tint on their sugestions, metint might have some tech notes he could post. :blah

Guest metint
( not a brand new car ).

[*]358104

How old is the car?

Tiger covered it... no need for posting LLu's PPF's install suggestions, since it's meant for their product.

Guest sa tinter
wash car to remove dirt

If the surface has lots of fallout  like rail dust, overspray road grime you may want to use a claybar to get a smooth clean install.

I get body shop repaints that they have neglected to cut and buff so I charge xtra to wetssand  with 1200 grit and buff b4 PPF install.

I  only use film-on and dirt-off , no alcohol ever (personal preference)

wipe intalled area dry and then go over all exposed edges with a heat gun set on low heat to ensure edges are set to keep out dirt.

take your time and be very thorough

my 2 cents

[*]358939

Thanks for the tips - gonna practice a bit.

There is another question. Lets say you are installing ppf on the hood where do you end off the edge of the ppf ? Do you actually open the hood and fold it around - in order to get an "edgeless looking install or do you just cut the ppf as close to the edge of the hood as possible? :popcorn

Guest sa tinter

( not a brand new car ).

[*]358104

How old is the car?

Tiger covered it... no need for posting LLu's PPF's install suggestions, since it's meant for their product.

[*]358935

Metint

Will appreciate it if you can post those install suggestions - any help will be great help.

Lets say you are installing ppf on the hood where do you end off the edge of the ppf ? Do you actually open the hood and fold it around - in order to get an "edgeless looking install or do you just cut the ppf as close to the edge of the hood as possible? :spit

[*]359120

you can do either, if I have to install a kit, most dont wrap arround, I prefer off the roll install, then I can prop the hood up and wrap the edges, only problem is take an extra 15-20 minutes to heat the underside, to make sure it sticks.

some dont like the wraped edge because it has a greater chance of comming loose, but if I take the time to heat seal it, I havnt had any problems with it lifting.

Guest sa tinter
Lets say you are installing ppf on the hood where do you end off the edge of the ppf ? Do you actually open the hood and fold it around - in order to get an "edgeless looking install or do you just cut the ppf as close to the edge of the hood as possible? :thumb

[*]359120

you can do either, if I have to install a kit, most dont wrap arround, I prefer off the roll install, then I can prop the hood up and wrap the edges, only problem is take an extra 15-20 minutes to heat the underside, to make sure it sticks.

some dont like the wraped edge because it has a greater chance of comming loose, but if I take the time to heat seal it, I havnt had any problems with it lifting.

[*]359572

Thanks stripes -

Yesterday I was practicing someppf install from the roll on the hood and nose area of my Land Cruiser Pickup. There are some really sharp cornery curves in this area. The only way I was able to get a smooth finish was to really stretch the film around these curves to avoid fingers.

Did this without heating. But of course the fingers appeared a bit later as the film started to stretch back a bit. Should I try to apply a bit heat after the stretch to set the film in place and keep it from stretching back - or can I smooth the finger s out like tint work on a back window using the heat gun?

Damn - this installing without patterns is sooooooooooo difficult!!!!!

Did this without heating. But of course the fingers appeared a bit later as the film started to stretch back a bit. Should I try to apply a bit heat after the stretch to set the film in place and keep it from stretching back - or can I smooth the finger s out like tint work on a back window using the heat gun?

Damn - this installing without patterns is sooooooooooo difficult!!!!!

[*]359744

*Contracting indicates access soap still on the adhesive...

*Stretching is the key to success with PPF...

*And if heat is needed, use a hair dryer or a steamer (heat gun is too hot and can melt)...

Now... how old is the car? :gasp

Better yet... if you are installing to a vehicle with some life to it (paint already pitted and clear coat degradation from exposure to a few years of sun), you risk clear coat and/or paint coming away in the event the product needs removing. :lol6

Archived