Preparing paint surface for PPF

Guest sa tinter

Guest sa tinter

Did this without heating. But of course the fingers appeared a bit later as the film started to stretch back a bit. Should I try to apply a bit heat after the stretch to set the film in place and keep it from stretching back - or can I smooth the finger s out like tint work on a back window using the heat gun?

Damn - this installing without patterns is sooooooooooo difficult!!!!!

[*]359744

*Contracting indicates access soap still on the adhesive...

*Stretching is the key to success with PPF...

*And if heat is needed, use a hair dryer or a steamer (heat gun is too hot and can melt)...

Now... how old is the car? :beer

Better yet... if you are installing to a vehicle with some life to it (paint already pitted and clear coat degradation from exposure to a few years of sun), you risk clear coat and/or paint coming away in the event the product needs removing. :beer

Metint & Stripes

This is the lorrie I am suffering to protect with ppf - especially the front of the hood - after quite a few attempts and using your advice, it isstarting to look a better and hopefulley it will protect this baby from those nasty thorn bushes and baboons. This hood is full of sharp curves and myself and two of my mates had to stretch the film to get a better fit. Still showing some small soapie bubbles - hope this will dissapear in a day or two of good old afrca sun- or maybe I should stop using dishwashing liquid and get some jbs.

Trimming the edges? on the paint surface with and artist knife or is there an easier way ?

[*]359818

post-16023-1137134780.jpg

Metint & Stripes

This is the lorrie I am suffering to protect with ppf - especially the front of the hood - after quite a few attempts and using your advice, it isstarting to look a better and hopefulley it will protect this baby from those nasty thorn bushes and baboons. This hood is full of sharp curves and myself and two of my mates had to stretch the film to get a better fit. Still showing some small soapie bubbles - hope this will dissapear in a day or two of good old afrca sun- or maybe I should stop using dishwashing liquid and get some jbs.

Trimming the edges? on the paint surface with and artist knife  or is there an easier way ?

Well it seems you're not in a position to just pop right into a kitchen supply store and get a thin translucent cutting pad... you could just try with a scrap of PPF... fold it in two, sticking it upon itself and use it as a buffer under the edge, so you can trim to fit... of course taking care not to cut through your buffer to the paint in the process.

I am one not to suggest cutting PPF on paint without protection beneath the edge... others may be. :lol6

Archived