Beware corresponding overseas...

By Brock N. Meeks

Chief Washington correspondent

MSNBC

Updated: 5:55 p.m. ET Jan. 6, 2006

Brock N. Meeks

Chief Washington correspondent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON - In the 50 years that Grant Goodman has known and corresponded with a colleague in the Philippines he never had any reason to suspect that their friendship was anything but spectacularly ordinary.

But now he believes that the relationship has somehow sparked the interest of the Department of Homeland Security and led the agency to place him under surveillance.

Last month Goodman, an 81-year-old retired University of Kansas history professor, received a letter from his friend in the Philippines that had been opened and resealed with a strip of dark green tape bearing the words ?by Border Protection? and carrying the official Homeland Security seal.

Nature of the biz, I guess.

We will always hear anecdotal "evidence" or "stories' like this........What you don't hear.............

"Message intercepted, another known operative's efforts thwarted, leading to his arrest and capture. Further evidence in individual's apartment revealed a planned eminent attack on an established scientific labratory developing anecdotes against nerve gas and other biological agents. Mission thwarted."

-This is to remain top secret (not common public knowledge) in the spirit of covert planning and further security.

-devil's advocate :beer

OK, I see your point...but why were they spying on Colin Powel's calls?

Why the need for warrant-less searches? If someone is really up to no good, all it takes is a phone call to get a warrant.

Not busting your balls here, I just h@te to see our freedoms eroded for the sake of security. The guys who started all this say "they attacked America because they h@te freedom"...So why take our freedoms?

There's much more behind the scenes that most know about, and it helps to look at these things with an open mind.

I'm the first to admit that I do not trust the government at all, so I tend to look at issues a little deeper than the black and white options we are presented in the controlled media.

It's always a good idea to look at things from different angles, and ask "what if" when presented with one side of the story as the controlled media does.

:beer

OK, I see your point...but why were they spying on Colin Powel's calls?

Why the need for warrant-less searches? If someone is really up to no good, all it takes is a phone call to get a warrant.

Not busting your balls here, I just h@te to see our freedoms eroded for the sake of security. The guys who started all this say "they attacked America because they h@te freedom"...So why take our freedoms?

There's much more behind the scenes that most know about, and it helps to look at these things with an open mind.

I'm the first to admit that I do not trust the government at all, so I tend to look at issues a little deeper than the black and white options we are presented in the controlled media.

It's always a good idea to look at things from different angles, and ask "what if" when presented with one side of the story as the controlled media does.

:beer

I also tend to agree, but TINT said it best!  Nobody wants to see freedoms eroded. but ugliness begets ugliness.  We can't have it both ways.......politics is a mighty tangled web.

[*]358528

:dunno

ok, so we are being watched over, the government can do anything they very well might please to do. you have no control over it, we dont have control over it. even if it is against the law, they got the access 24/7. question is, what type of people are they really monitoring?

cause I sure as hell dont want to get busted for watching russian P**n :dunno

Archived