FILM REP. PULLS ONE OVER ON ME

My sales rep at [edit] started selling film to my employee w/out my knowledge & acted like everything was cool when I found out. I have no problem w/ anyone going out on their own but don't do it on my time & my shops reputation.

I had never even considered switching films before, always have reps stopping in to say hello but have always remained faithful & satisfied with my film. Now I'm up in the air about dropping them completely or just phasing them out. :thumbdown

I'm just amazed they would risk losing a steady longtime customer just to sell a few extra rolls of film to someone who won't be able to purchase half of what I do. I know I'm not a huge customer for them but my shop does over 400 cars a year + a few houses every month. I just don't understand the thinking here, am I missing something?

What would some of you do in this situation?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VOLTRON

do you not think that some of your installers tint thier friends cars or people they know, or do you not think it is right if they do it?

If the installers are selling thier own jobs out of your shop that is one thing and that is something you need to take up with your employees, but if they are just doing cars for people they know and friends then what is the big deal? It is not the film reps fault for selling them the film, nor is it the installers fault for buying it. If you dont want to allow this kind of thing then you need to let it be known to your employees. :thumbdown

Voltron, so is it O.K. to have someone call the shop or come in because they want my shop to tint their vehicle & happen to know the tinter from the past & he sets it up to do it on his own time even though it was my shops rep that brought them in the door?

If he does his friends vehicles I could care less, but unless they call him personally then I do have a problem w/ it. The tinter is wanting to go out on his own but wants to set up some clientel thru my business. He will be leaving very shortly & will have to sink or swim on his own merits, not mine.

Guest VOLTRON

No im not saying its ok for him to take business from your shop, but you made it sound like you didnt want him to buy film at all.

If he is taking your customers then by all means I would fire him too, but to get mad at the sales rep for selling him film seemed a little overreactive to me but if you say the installer is taking some of your customers well then I understand

Need more specifics on the transaction B4 I'll comment either way.. Was the employee purchasing the film while on your clock/dime?

Has the employer set up a legitimate business?

When you work for a service company(which is what we are) you are an extension of that service company. That could make them responsible for what you do if something negetive happens. It has happened with companies I know in the past. The last one I know of was a Mercedes dealership where an employee tinted a new coup. He broke the back glass and did a number on the paint. The dealership ended up paying for that back glass and the paint work to repair the damage. That employee was no longer.

If you are working for me, you are here to create profit for me and my company. That is how I make my living, plain and simple. I pay my guys well. Doing side work is not allowed within my company. My guys know this from the day they are hired.

If I had an employee purchase film from my supplier with the sole purpose to do side work, that would be the last day they are employed. PERIOD!

Need more specifics on the transaction B4 I'll comment either way.. Was the employee purchasing the film while on your clock/dime?

Has the employer set up a legitimate business?

[*]390478

Same here, need a little more info. Is he doing jobs that your shop normally wouldn't do, on the side, or is he taking your legal jobs. Either way, they should have approached you, and been up front about it, maybe they still have a good explanation, but I doubt it.

Guest Solscreen

Drop your supplier, your employee could have bought film from you, for a few odd jobs, you may have been ok with that.

If they was my suppliers I would drop him

In the past he has gotten tint from me (at cost) for family & close friends, but this has happened in the past couple of weeks & 2 cars that came to my business he did w/ his film & pocketed the money & thinks it's strange that I'm upset about it.

My rep after the fact asks if it bothered me after I brought it up to him & said they didn't want to lose my business only to ship some more to him at my shop a couple days later :thumbdown

He has not set up a business yet, he makes a good living working for me & can't afford to go out on his own until he builds up some repeat business behind my back. This is his last week here, much to his suprise, he can see what I had to go thru as well as others to start a business from scratch.

As far as my film company, they say they care but their actions say otherwise. I'm still up in the air about them, I guess I'll see what they are going to do & go from there. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. :thumbdown

Archived