shaving with a knife? Best Technique

Guest chip01

Guest chip01

At the moment I microedge everything bar frameless windows, I have got an exacto knife and like the finish that it gives compared to filing and leaving a gap, but when using it it seems to a be abit hit and miss. Sometimes the edges seem jagged and towards the frame edges it can get messy. I know I lot of people use some kind of knife what is the best technique for a perfect edge!

Thanks in advance chip

Guest MidcoastMW

I say micro edge it all the way up there. If you get it close enough, like 1/32" or less, it looks so damn clean. My customers love it. You just have to make sure your top cut was cut good, otherwise it wont matchup and you will get an uneven look to the gap.

The only reason I havent even tried to file or shave is because it seems like to much messing around to get into the frame.

Guest tintdawg
I say micro edge it all the way up there. If you get it close enough, like 1/32" or less, it looks so damn clean. My customers love it. You just have to make sure your top cut was cut good, otherwise it wont matchup and you will get an uneven look to the gap.

The only reason I havent even tried to file or shave is because it seems like to much messing around to get into the frame.

I agree. Micro edge works best. Get a plotter did ya? Some films will peel away from the edge. Also, The guy that takes out rear windows for us says that filling is bad for the glass. Myself, when a customer asks for a filing, I'll use a file, razor (new olfa blade for each window) depends on the window. Not all windows can have a clean apperance with a razor, because of the window having a bullnose or rounded edge.

if your using a knife to shave it, make sure you heat it up good so it dosnt pull back from the glass as you cut,

and I have been filing glass since like 94 and have never had a problem with it chipping the glass or messing anything up, maybe I is just lucky, or just that good :beer

Shaving is easy :beer

Three angles with the exacto. 1. bottom of knife angled forward from blade about 20% 2. blade (#11) at a 45% angle 3. distance bottom of knife is from the window depends on each piece of glass and determines if you take to much or not enough (anchor a finger or your other hand to glass to keep this one the same). Left and right handed tinters shave opposite????.. I take a new blade and dull it on the edge of a stone, some tinters use a new blade all the time. Cut on up stroke and pull back on down stroke. All that said????.. What ever works best for you is the BEST! It?s just shaving is borderless and does not leave an edge for the film to catch on and cause problems. IMO only!

Guest tintdawg
Shaving is easy :dunno

Three angles with the exacto. 1. bottom of knife angled forward from blade about 20% 2. blade (#11) at a 45% angle 3. distance bottom of knife is from the window depends on each piece of glass and determines if you take to much or not enough (anchor a finger or your other hand to glass to keep this one the same). Left and right handed tinters shave opposite????.. I take a new blade and dull it on the edge of a stone, some tinters use a new blade all the time. Cut on up stroke and pull back on down stroke. All that said????.. What ever works best for you is the BEST! It?s just shaving is borderless and does not leave an edge for the film to catch on and cause problems. IMO only!

Good Tip :beer

Guest execspec

if your using a knife to shave

make sure you use ...HOT SOAPY WATER, PLENTY OF GILLETE SHAVING GEL, GOOD MIRROR & A 1ST AID KIT NEAR BY ....just in case :lol:lol:lol6:evileye

Archived