does window tint affect satelite radio

Guest smallblock351w

This was a good question. If the antenna is mounted on the outside of th vehicle, then the answer would be obviously no..but if the satellite antenna is built into the back window..would it be affected like the AM is..or would it be OK like the FM is :dunno

My guess would be that a more directional signal would be less affected than a signal that was not as directional. For instance an AM radio wave is much larger and "bounces" off things like clouds windows with metal in them and many other things. That is why they can be sent from Kansas and be heard in Florida. The FM wave is more directional signal smaller waveform and is less affected by the refraction of the metal in the window. With satellite it is even smaller of a waveform and there fore would be affected even less therefore reception should be good with the satellite radio.

I know what I'll do..I'll put a piece of tint with metal in it over my satellite antenna and report what happens..If it doesn't kill the signal on it..it shouldn't on any antenna built into the glass :trustme

Here's my results: I put an all dyed film over the antenna..no problem , I put ANY tint with a metal component to it over the antenna and GREATLY diminished the signal!

Archived