Rain on the parade

Guest filmdit

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filmdit

Well...

I wasn't going to throw salt on the wound by telling the caller to watch the forecast closer, but it would be something I'd consider and have given Florida can pop a thunder-bumpin' downpour in a snap of a finger.

Scratching kynar can be done just by looking at it wrong...

Harsh chemicals will bring in the hazmat team...

Kynar sheds it's surface molecules like sking shedding dead cells, but... the sealant is designed to stick in place on this.

I believe TD's question is the only direction to go. However, we're talking insurance having to pay out... it's like some film sellers when it comes to honoring a warranty claim, they'll find a clause having to do with flooding.

Thought I'd put this one out there as a lesson for many at the expense of one really bummed out installer and to see if anyone has been there, done that and had a way out.

Thanks for the input... :thumb

Guest vclimber

Yes, that is a good thing to keep in mind although weather can turn on you real quick this time of year...

Is this a subcontracted installer error or was this a company employed installer?

If it is the latter, we all pretty know what the company has vested in the in the material. We also know what that job probably went for unless he low-balled it. We also know what the installer was payed and what it will cost in labor to R&R.

So if everyone involved gives of thier time (which equates to $) they can strip and reting this size job and possibly be at a wash on the whole thing if it wasn't bid too low. They can call it a learning experience and move on from there.

At the very least this serves as a good lesson not to sell yourself too short or you could end up in the red big time. :thumb

Guest Key West
Install 2000 sq ft of exterior Kynar, seal edges with Dow 1199 only to have a ten-day relentless rain period begin at the end of the install day.

Result? Dow 1199 mixed with water having flowed all over the film surface and has now dried.

What approach would you take to bring this to resolution without incurring financial loss?

In other words, how to go about removing the smeared, cured, 1199 silicone sealant from the Kynar surface without damaging it?

Dave, I don't know about the Dow1100, but I DO know that M.E.K. solvent, or acetone will not touch the polyester. It would seem to me that that should remove the Dow without harming the film. I have worked with alot of esoteric solvents, and have yet to find one that will touch the polyester base of film. Gas :thumb styrene :thumb benzene :lol2 I give up :lol2:thumb

Guest vclimber
Dave, I don't know about the Dow1100, but I DO know that M.E.K. solvent, or acetone will not touch the polyester. It would seem to me that that should remove the Dow without harming the film. I have worked with alot of esoteric solvents, and have yet to find one that will touch the polyester base of film. Gas :thumb styrene :lol2 benzene :lol2 I give up :thumb:lol2

The problem I see is not with the solvent damaging the polyester, rather the scratching of the film because ultimately it will have to be wiped down. There is no SR coating on that exterior Kynar stuff. :thumb

Archived