Watch out for laminated glass!!!

Guest vclimber

The polyester that is known as "weatherable" has little tiny holes in it. One technique is to heat up the polyester (1400F if I remember correctly) and allow those holes, or pores, to open up and the the UV absorbers are sprayed onto the material and allowed to soak in. If you heat the finished product to 1500F or more then it would stand to reason that those holes will open back up and your nice even distribution of UV absorbers gets altered along with the structural layout of the polyester suface. I'm sure there is a much more technical explanation...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest filmdit
Well, they know how the product is going to be used, why don't they adapt the film to be suitable? :chick

Most likely since polyester, dyes, and UV absorbers have their limimations. :fdup Good question for a pay grade higher or two than me.

The polyester that is known as "weatherable" has little tiny holes in it. One technique is to heat up the polyester (1400F if I remember correctly) and allow those holes, or pores, to open up and the the UV absorbers are sprayed onto the material and allowed to soak in. If you heat the finished product to 1500F or more then it would stand to reason that those holes will open back up and your nice even distribution of UV absorbers gets altered along with the structural layout of the polyester suface. I'm sure there is a much more technical explanation...

Well... my understanding has always been, polyester's melting point is 386-387 F, so it sounds as though at temps such as 1400 or even 1500, you'd have a glob of useless stuff. :cool

When I tested heat forming temps at the film surface, the highest temp during the process of shrinking the back glass spiked to 300F, but hovered between 180 and 280 as the polyester reacted to the heat. :banned

Most likely since polyester, dyes, and UV absorbers have their limimations. :chick Good question for a pay grade higher or two than me.

Well... my understanding has always been, polyester's melting point is 386-387 F, so it sounds as though at temps such as 1400 or even 1500, you'd have a glob of useless stuff. :banned

When I tested heat forming temps at the film surface, the highest temp during the process of shrinking the back glass spiked to 300F, but hovered between 180 and 280 as the polyester reacted to the heat. :fdup

Now things are returning to normal round heeeraaaa :cool

Archived