Tint and Rust

Guest ozamora

I would not trust any shop that does illegal tint. they can squeege on that top area and it MIGHT look better but it wond look that good. just dont be suprised when it doesnt lay down uniformly up top.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tint Guru

It is possible that the rust / Iron ore was in the water.

Last week I was tinting at home and the fire department came by and opened my fire hydrant out front. I went in for a refill and the water was brown. I has to let it run for ten minutes. I am sure this has happened to many a tinter. If it was on a roll down you wouldnt notice it as much. But, because the film on the dots dont lay down all the way, rust can accelerate. Air , moisture , metal = rust

Guest tintslut

I do believe there is a llumar technical bulletin about this, Since the move , I cant find any of the old mailers I received . I remember something about a copper scrub pad and making sure to remove all contaminents from the frit area,

or something to that affect.

It is possible that the rust / Iron ore was in the water.

Last week I was tinting at home and the fire department came by and opened my fire hydrant out front.  I went in for a refill and the water was brown.  I has to let it run for ten minutes.  I am sure this has happened to many a tinter.  If it was on a roll down you wouldnt notice it as much.  But, because the film on the dots dont lay down all the way, rust can accelerate.  Air , moisture , metal  = rust

Too many reports of this happening in different locals and not consistent with the same make/model/installer. Possibility it contributes, but you would see it in all matrices if it was just the water. :thumb

I do believe there is a llumar technical bulletin about this, Since the move , I cant find any of the old mailers I received .  I remember something about a copper scrub pad and making sure to  remove all contaminents from the frit area,

or something to that affect.

That's evolved from copper to aggressive scrub pad avoiding the glass area because they scratch.

I have seen the TB too, believe it has been lost to change. Maybe on the tech website llumartech.com

:thumb Haven't had to look for it in awhile. :thumb

Guest tintman72

I have three simple words: Methyl Ethel Keytone (MEK) found at your local hardware store. It works very well to take the teflone type film off of the dots and allows the film to stick very well. Words of caution::: Do not use this stuff in spray bottle!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will eat the plastic. It is best to use it on a rag because basically it is acetone on steriods......(just don't let it get on the seats. )

Archived