Georgia laws...

Guest deanjones

Guest Key West
Not much changed except the wording of the law to include out of state drivers :beer

So whats the deal with this? My vehicle has to be legal for Ga. if I travel through Ga.?

And if challenged, any attorney could beat the ticket, and force Ga to repeal it. Ga tint laws, as well as those of Va are in direct conflict with the interstate commerce act. I have no Idea how Va's laws have stood for so long, I can only assume that no one has cared enough to challenge. (It's cheaper to pay the fine than a long, drawn out court battle over constitutional issues.) I would think that an aggressive, up-coming Lawyer would take the case for the publicity. I'm sure there is one out there somewhere.

And yes, even tho you do not live in Ga, and your state allws 15% or 20% on the rear, if you drive thru Ga (even non-stop) you can be ticketed and fined. And here in N. Ga, the fine is as much as 500.00!!! :beer

Guest deanjones
Then explain to me the PT Cruiser. Is it built on a truck frame, and/or designed for occasional off-road use? (That defines "Multi-purpose" SUV) We have tossed this back and forth, we don't know :beer Niether does the state!!! :beer:lol2

How about the Subaru Outback? It's a wagon, but is also a 4 wheel drive vehicle and has the ability to go off road.

Same with the WRX wagon. 4 wheel drive and is used in rally events at times which is off road.

I need to read the definition of a multipurpose passenger vehicle!

Guest deanjones
How about the Subaru Outback? It's a wagon, but is also a 4 wheel drive vehicle and has the ability to go off road.

Same with the WRX wagon. 4 wheel drive and is used in rally events at times which is off road.

I need to read the definition of a multipurpose passenger vehicle!

Ah ha!

(3) Multipurpose passenger vehicle. The term "multipurpose passenger vehicle" means a motor vehicle with motive power (except a trailer), designed to carry not more than 10 individuals, that is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

This would include my Evolution then! Cause it's designed for off road rally use! Even though I don't want dark film, I'm just trying to figure this out for customer purposes. Since the WRX and Evo are Rally car's by nature are all wheel drive and are used off road for such events, would this mean that they qualify?!

Guest Key West
Ah ha!

This would include my Evolution then! Cause it's designed for off road rally use! Even though I don't want dark film, I'm just trying to figure this out for customer purposes. Since the WRX and Evo are Rally car's by nature are all wheel drive and are used off road for such events, would this mean that they qualify?!

I think yes, they would qualify, as should any stationwagon. But what you or I beleve is immaterial. It's the legislation, and its interpretation that counts.

But nobody in the DMV, GHP, or ANYBODY has been able to answer that. The PT Cruiser comes with 15 (or 20 :thumb ) from the factory. To my knowledge it's niether built on a truck frame, nor is it designed for occasional off road use. :thumb

Do the WRX or the Outback wagons come from the factory with the rear glass tinted? Never seen one. I've done alot of Outbacks, and one lancer wagon. Don't recall any of them with factory tint tho. But the PT Cruiser DOES!!

Then explain to me the PT Cruiser. Is it built on a truck frame, and/or designed for occasional off-road use? (That defines "Multi-purpose" SUV) We have tossed this back and forth, we don't know :dunno Niether does the state!!! :poke :inot

Yes, with the way the law is worded it is virtually impossible for us or law enforcement toknow how to classify certain "cross-over" types of vehicles. I believe this is why that the law often seems to be enforced only on the 2 front doors of cars since the law is the same on the 2 front doors for all vehicles. Does anyone remember way back when GA law allowed for darker shade on the rear part of cars?

Guest haroldshouseoftint
Then explain to me the PT Cruiser. Is it built on a truck frame, and/or designed for occasional off-road use? (That defines "Multi-purpose" SUV) We have tossed this back and forth, we don't know :poke Niether does the state!!! :inot :dunno

:inot It is built on a Neon frame, thats all it is a neon wagon :lol2:lol

Guest Key West
:nope It is built on a Neon frame, thats all it is a neon wagon :lol2:dunno

So... It's not built on a truck frame, nor is it designed for occasional off road use, yet comes from the factory with (least in Ga and Tn) illegal windows? :inot Who then would get the ticket? And who would be responsible for replacing the back windows with clear glass since ya can't strip factory? That pretty much negates, or at least makes the tint law in part unenforceable. And since it's unenforceable as a whole, It (the law) should be stricken and rewritten. And I checked with an attorney who researched Ga law, and he belives that the law, as written to include out of state drivers, is contrary to federal law and if one were to challenge the validity, the law would have to be repealed AGAIN! The first time it was repealed in '03, it was because the existing law at the time could not be enforced unilaterally, only enforceable on Ga residents. The same with Va law, but they are not a state per se, but a commonwealth, and are subject to different standards. :inot But with all this conflict in the tint laws, the IWFA needs to be taking our dues, and fighting these rediculous, and onerous laws. :lol

I'd like to see one shred of evidence that tint laws have increased the safety of LEO's. The law requiring drivers to slow down and pull into the left lane when approaching an emergency vehicle, or a LEO involved in a stop make FAR more sense. :poke

Guest deanjones
So... It's not built on a truck frame, nor is it designed for occasional off road use, yet comes from the factory with (least in Ga and Tn) illegal windows? :poke Who then would get the ticket? And who would be responsible for replacing the back windows with clear glass since ya can't strip factory?

The same question is asked about Evo's in California. :dunno

The Evo comes with a large wing and a pretty big and louder than normal exhaust. These things seem to be illegal in California and people in Evo's are getting pulled over left and right for a completely stock vehicle.

Kind of the same thing goes for these windows, I guess...

Archived