What does an oil change cost you?

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Ya ha ha ha ha ha

but see I spent 13+ years working for dealers and can buy all parts at cost, so when I can go buy a "factory" filter for 1/2 the price of the "crap" same exact filter at autozone why not? and when you go to sell your vehicle show that person look I even use factory filters :bingo they feel the car has been well cared for in that aspect :thumb but what do I know

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude, seriously, I would bet that chart was created by AC Delco. Believing every graph and chart you see on the internet is like believing everything you see on tv. But it is possible, I never claimed that what I use was the best, just that it is what I use.

Everyone has their ritual for oil changes and filters and what not, I just hate it when someone thinks they know what the best is basing their findingson some little internet site or what their neighbor the mechanic told them, or pretending that they heard it from this one guys cousin's girlfriends neighbor who is really smart and knows his shiz. It really doesn't matter. I've used cheapass chevron oil and fram filters in rigs before that ran for over 200k miles that were brand new when I got them with no problems. I know fram is supposedly the worst out there, but god damn funny how it worked out alright for me.

Now if someone actually sits down in a lab, conducts an unbiased test and then shows me the results, then I will believe it. Otherwise I have to assume like everything else in this world, it's a bunch of bullshit that someone paid for those results.

But again.....does it really matter? No, it doesn't because motors are different by nature even if they are the same. One motor ran with the most premium oils and filters and babied it's whole life could crap out at 100k miles, while another that is tortured to death will go for over 500k.

It's all in our heads, but I just do what settles my nerves, not what some little podunk graph tells me to use.

Guest darkdan
Dude, seriously, I would bet that chart was created by AC Delco. Believing every graph and chart you see on the internet is like believing everything you see on tv. But it is possible, I never claimed that what I use was the best, just that it is what I use.

That chart was independently done by diesel enthusiasts to find what works and what doesn't. Don't take the "AC Delco is the best" to heart. But it does a WONDERFUL job of showing paper filters better than oiled foam/cotton style filters.

I can go buy a "factory" filter for 1/2 the price of the "crap" same exact filter at autozone why not?

As long as you're paying LESS that's cool. I was worried you were paying $13 for an oil filter because it was "factory".

Dam-dan-you got a oil change fetish?

I've been an AMSOIL dealer with a no-BS attitude for about 5 years now. Unlike many other salesmen who give the whole MLM oil salespeople a bad name I try to keep it real.

I don't claim any one oil or filter is best in all situations, but I do my best to guide my customers to making correct and informed choices.

Here is another reason I don't fall into the bs of "testing"

Even if thegraph is actually correct in numbers, they are usually designed to be visually disproportionate to attack another competitor. Possibly, that graph is ac delco's attack on k&n, and the rest were just fill ins. I also like how they always have to have a "no brand" filter in there, just to really make the ones under it look bad. Like they didn't actually fukin know what filter it was, but it looks really bad to consumers for a specific filter to place lower than some "no name" filter. :beer

Guest darkdan

Here's more:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

If you're getting new vehicles all the time then it shouldn't matter. But I keep mine for as long as possible and therefore every little bit of dirt I keep out of the motor is a good thing.

After all, wear causing particles are 5 microns and larger. Oil filters can only capture down to about 20 microns on average.

Archived