back glass questions

Guest jongt

Guest jongt

hey I just failed my back glass misreably and had some questions if you guys didn't mind giving me some input. I was trying the soap method and from what ive read I know I must do this. anchor the middle, shrink towards factory edge, start shrinking at anchor out. Im 2 peiceing the back window only because I only have a 20" roll to work with, but I still want to shrink them. Im starting with the bottom peice, which is 20" high. my questions are these

since you have to shrink toward the factory edge, do the fingers have to be vertical? if so, completely or can they be a little diagonal?

when you smooth them with a card and paper towels, do you go from top-bottom or left-right?

when I was shrinking it was pretty easy for the big ones, they would ripple then I would smooth. but some would become very thin, long pockets. almost like a crease but without the fold. I would heat them alot and try to smooth with little luck.

what about the edges of the tint near the left and right sides of the window, do you shrink by here or no? I was having problems since the fingers were all facing these edges and not the factory edge.

do you start from the middle or left or right or it doesnt matter?

after I had finished an alright job of shrinking I tried to put it on the back glass and fumbled around until my 2 hour peice of art was crumpled and stuck to itself. is back rolling it the only way to get it on there?

also, any tips on joining the 2 peices of film so it doesnt look like 2? I was going to join them near the top by overlapping and cutting through both then removing the excess, probably close to and parallel to a defroster line.

thanks alot and you pro tinters deserve alot more credit than you get, this was some really hard stuff!

Ok I have to say this, TAKE IT TO A PRO!!! With that said, I guess you are like me and want to do everything yourself and we all start somewhere... First of all, what kind of car are you tinting? Also, I am hoping you are atleast using professional quality film and not that crap from autozone.

You can only shrink up and down, with the grain of the film, that means toward the factory edge of the film.

It sounds to me like you might not be letting the soap dry enough, that is why the fingers are so tight, it is easy to crease the film the way, if the fingers get to tight, lift and pull the film off of the glass a bit then retry..

You need to force the fingers on the sides down towards the bottom or up tpwards the top, then shrink them.

Overlap and cut the two pieces of film on the outside and use the defrost lines to hide the overlap. You can then frankenstien one peice of your film at a time into the back of the car and onto the glass.

Hope this helps a bit, search the site, all the info you need is here, good luck...

Ok I have to say this, TAKE IT TO A PRO!!! With that said, I guess you are like me and want to do everything yourself and we all start somewhere... First of all, what kind of car are you tinting? Also, I am hoping you are atleast using professional quality film and not that crap from autozone.

You can only shrink up and down, with the grain of the film, that means toward the factory edge of the film.

It sounds to me like you might not be letting the soap dry enough, that is why the fingers are so tight, it is easy to crease the film the way, if the fingers get to tight, lift and pull the film off of the glass a bit then retry..

You need to force the fingers on the sides down towards the bottom or up tpwards the top, then shrink them.

Overlap and cut the two pieces of film on the outside and use the defrost lines to hide the overlap. You can then frankenstien one peice of your film at a time into the back of the car and onto the glass.

Hope this helps a bit, search the site, all the info you need is here, good luck...

:rollin . You have to splice on the inside with a defroster line, because if you cut on the outside the lines wont match the defroster when installed! :rollin

:eyebrows . You have to splice on the inside with a defroster line, because if you cut on the outside the lines wont match the defroster when installed! :lol2

:lol2 ive had to r&r many back glass's because of ppl trying that double cut on the outside. :lol2

Guest jongt

I appreciate the replies. I would take it to a pro except I bought this roll, sun guard I think is what it is, 150 bucks for a 100' x 20'' roll so I think its good. I did all the side windows and they turned out good. money is tight and I really just wanna finish this guy, I don't wanna give up. its a 240sx and I don't think the back glas is too bad. with the soap I just wet a towel, rub the bar soap on the wet spot really hard then cover the back window right? then I wait til its white,streaky and dry then lay the 2 pieces on it. then I anchor the middle and the sides and get the fingers to be vertical. then I start at the middle and the anchor and heat the fingers then smooth from top to bottom or bottom to top. does that sound close? also do u guys backroll it or frankenstein?

then I wait til its white,streaky and dry then lay the 2 pieces on it. then I anchor the middle and the sides and get the fingers to be vertical. then I start at the middle and the anchor and heat the fingers then smooth from top to bottom or bottom to top. does that sound close? also do u guys backroll it or frankenstein?

:beer You're not putting both pieces on at the same time to shrink them are you??? Hope not....maybe I miss read that...you put one on, lets say the bottom one...shrink it...over cut the top, then put the top piece on and shrink it. then slap the first piece on the inside...squeegee it out...then put on the second...squeegee it..double cut your seam, then take off your scrap. be sure to wet the tint as you are taking out the underlying scrap or else you will risk a fair amount of contamination.

myself...im a frankensteiner...most of the time...but do reverse roll on trucks and some cars. :thumb

:dunno . You have to splice on the inside with a defroster line, because if you cut on the outside the lines wont match the defroster when installed! :lol2
Ok that is why I do em all in one piece, never had to splice before :lol2 Well I did try it this one time but the lines didn't match up :poop Maybe that was the problem :beer Hey if you splice on the inside wouldn't that damage the defrost line? :lol2

Archived