PPF for headlights

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest soundtweequor

I have a buddy that works at a dealership and what he's told me is that most dealerships won't touch the protection of the headlights because it's not DOT approved to be covered even though the film is clear.

Guest XPEL Costas

The whole headlamp film thing is interesting.

From a 'keep the headlamp from glazing over' standpoint the use of PPF or dedicated HL film is moot. Either one seals the exposed surface and keeps the plastic/glass/polycarbonite/etc from being weathered or getting minor pits from sand/road debris/etc. While some versions of PPF are not very clear and 'mottle' and disperse the light a bit, others seem to do fairly well.

However, we built a golf ball launcher (don't laugh, this thing is dangerous! :beer ) with some PVC tubing and an angle grinder with a steel brush attachment. It will throw a golf ball WAY down the street in a BIG hurry! :beer

We mounted up headlamps and the launcher would just destroy them no matter if they were bare or had ppf (8mil or 12 mil) on them. The only nice thing about the ones with film is that the cleanup was a little quicker due to a good percentage of the glass/plastic/pieces parts staying stuck to the film.

When we mounted up the XPEL 40mil (now phased out) it took an average of 6-8 hits (we destroyed nearly a case of headlamps!!) in the exact same spot before it would crack the lens. When we mounted up the XPEL 30mil (current film in clear/blue/smoke/amber) we found the exact same thing. The XPEL film is a PVC film (most all PPF is urethane) with a scratch-resistant top coating and we use a 3M adhesive and liner. It is the same stuff used by all the Rolex GT cars (XPEL amber, as stated in their rulebook :thumb ) that compete in the Rolex GT series (including the 24hrs of Daytona).

As far as legality, remember that the DOT only governs VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS. After the car is sold, it falls to the state that the vehicle is registered in to deem legality. For instance I can go buy a new car and it will have seatbelts for every seat. I can remove the back seat belts and it is perfectly legal for me to drive MY car around like that. Ford/GM/Honda/ETC all have to have belts in it WHEN IT IT SOLD, but when it becomes mine, I only have to follow the laws in my state (TEXAS...which only requires front seat belts).

In Texas, I am not allowed to put anything over the lenses UNLESS IT IS CLEAR.

It is worded like this: "s. Head lamp is covered by any lens or cover located in front of the head lamp which is any shade or color other than clear."

From here: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/inspection...rejectsubmit=Go

I see the same thing happening with Windshield Film (something we don't carry). While it is against the FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standards) for the MANUFACTURERS of vehicles to do, it appears to me (I AM NOT LEGAL COUNSEL! :thumb) that a person could put it on as long as the state they are registering the car does not have a law against it. :nope This is one product I am keeping an eye on to see what develops.

I encourage all you folks who are considering getting into HL film (a good profit center on protection that many folks want!) to check the inspection laws in YOUR STATE (most are available online, or just stop by an inspection station and look at the book). I've been told by a few inspectors in Texas that they aren't legal, and I've had to show them IN THEIR OWN BOOK :poop that it is indeed legal!

If any of you folks make it to SEMA, please stop in and say hello!

Cheers,

Paul Costas

XPEL Team

SEMA 2007 Booth 27541 "Racing and Performance"

Archived