New technique i've been doing

im getting to the point were I dont even what to felt the seals anymore..I had a discussion with an other member of the board and he is at the same spot I am getting...why should we felt something the car makers decided to cut corners and we should fix?.. :spit

The list will grow every year, great upsell. If one tinter does not do it the next one will have a R/R & skin install.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many doors that you can just pop out the doo-wipes and be done! Very few cars need panel pulling and I personaly cant see a great job being done tucking seals :poke except (of course) those of you who have done it that way for umpteen years. :spit

Guest GETITWET
:poke UUHHHHH........... SHRINK THOSE ON THE OUTSIDE, MAYBE GET A SMALL FINGER, BUT YOU PUSH THOSE DOWN WITH A LIITLE HEAT :lol6:spit PULLING OFF PANELS ANYMORE :spit

I agree. Half the time the trick is knowing when to pull and when not to pull.

Some cars are so easy to pull the panels that it doesn't make sense not to do it, others demand it.

Look at it as an upsell, at cctint's shop, it's an additional 39.95 per door for felt...easy money.

I agree will all of the above :rollin

I started out tucking gaskets, and probably one in ten would come back with a drivers door glass peeling up, although we know this was probably due to them rolling the window down too soon, but since I started taking the panels off or just pulling the seal, this has not happened in many years :dunno:spit

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal
There are several vehicles that I have found that you can simply wedge something in the corners of the door panel and it will pry back the top of the panel and keep it there untill you remove whatever you stuck in there. This provides plenty of room to feed your tint behind the gasket.

You would be surprised how many cars you can simmp0ly grap the top corner of the panel and pull back some and wedge something in there to hold it back :dunno

:rollin like my TOTW with the rusty "paddles" or "puddy spreaders"

I pop the panels back so that I can get the rubber gasket out. at least that's how I try to do it. :rollin I have tinted with the rubber in place and I think it's more time consuming because it requres me to be much more careful with the film and it also makes me expose more film to air for a longer time. I like to get whatever I can out of the way to make for the cleanest possible install. which is why...

I bought a cornelius tank finally and when it gets here in af ew days, I'm gonna be goin shopping to buy all the fittings for it!!!!!!!! :dunno

I agree will all of the above :rollin

I started out tucking gaskets, and probably one in ten would come back with a drivers door glass peeling up, although we know this was probably due to them rolling the window down too soon, but since I started taking the panels off or just pulling the seal, this has not happened in many years :spit:dunno

Agree with the original poster and this one.

A stich in time saves nine.

It's been eons since I can ever recall having a windup back for it lifting.

Devil

I completely agree, but I dont have the time to do that stuff. we employ 2 sometimes 3 guys to pull panels for all our cars, unless the seals come out

Same here, there are many unemployed trim & 12 Volt dudes that need work. More productivity and less than .5% roll ups. :rollin . ...Flawless film that never looks jammed up means more cha ching.. Soon every car, even the new POS cars will need felts just like the 08 Lancers so start poppin.

I come from a body shop background so pulling panels is second nature to me...But it is time consuming (on some cars)...But like others have said, u can remove the gasket with out pulling the panel...90% of the time I would say that you could get the gasket out with out panel removal or damage to the door panel or door skin...

peace my two cent...

so pull thoes panels you weenie...lol j/l

Archived