huper optik window films

Guest MAGIC2006

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Litespeeds

I have been installing Huper Optik ceramic for a little over 2 months now and it is kind of a hard film to shrink. I only carry the 30%, 40% and 50% shades at my shop. 20% is not even listed on their website as this film was intended for overseas use. I had my rep. send me some samples to try and and boy is this stuff thick. It feels like a 4 mil security film. I tried to shrink it but gave up because it took me about 1/2 hour and I was only half way done. And that was on a BMW 3 series which the window isn't that concaved.

I figure that the main reason why anybody wants to use Huper Optik is to have a lighter shade of film that is non-reflective and reduce a very high amount of heat. The optical clarity on this film is excellent but like I have been telling alot of people, I do notice ghosting/heat marks after the install when you view the film under direct sunlight at certain angles. Seems the darker the film, the more noticeable the ghosting so I figured if I used 20%, the tint job will look terrible because of the excessive amount of heat I have to use in order to shrink it down in one piece. My advise for you is to seam it if you are using 20%. Good luck and keep us posted.

Guest Litespeeds

I dry shrink it with Bouce fabric sheets, wet shrink it with soap solution, dry shrink it with car wax, wet shrink it with lift method but nothing seems to keep the film from ghosting. I am sure if I 2 piece it, the ghosting will be alot less, if not all gone but most of my customer's want a 1 piece installation. I do not want to debate about 1 piece or 2 piece installations but I would much rather have a one piece installation as a customer and that is what I provide.

The only thing that I haven't tried is a solution from Enpro which is called SS-180 shaping solution. I find it hard to believe that this would change the outcome of my installation. The other thing is the film that they sent me could be older stock that isn't as good as some of their newer film. When I install it under flourescent lighting, I see ALOT of oily/greasy colors all over the film. Even after installing it, it is still there under indoor lighting. Once I bring it outside, it all disappears. What gets me is, you can't see the ghosting under flourescent lighting but you can see the oily marks. Once you bring it out in the sunlight, you see the ghosting marks under certain angles but you can not see the oily marks anymore.

That is the only complaint I have about this wonderful film. I hope they fix this problem soon so I can recommend this to everyone who comes into my shop. :crazy

Guest Litespeeds

There is no "buy in" for automotive but there is a territory. You have to be qualified by the Huper Optik representative because they will not let just anyone carry their products. At least that was my interpretation when I met with my rep.

Archived