Glass breakage due to heat absorption??

Yeah GLASSPROTECT, isn't that a bunch of crap! We do windows for a local glass shop ALL THE TIME. But if there's a problem with the window the glass shop immediately says theres no warranty on the glass because it's tinted. :lol6:lol6:lol6

But if there's a problem with the window the glass shop immediately says theres no warranty on the glass because it's tinted

if the galass shops woldnt fock the edges of the film up, there probably wouldnt be a problem. I tinted 4 pieces of glass 22x65 the other day and every one had chips and fish eyes on the edges of the glass. I showed my boss and told him if that sh!t breaks thats why, the edges are already weak from the chip outs and stuff. the glass shops will be quick to point the finger at the tinter. do lke we did, go to the site and watch the glass being taken out, and replaced as soon as you see a screw into the edge of the glass or a chip out tell them TO fock OFF. its their problem.

the last fight we had with a glass shop thats what happened. we hired another shop to put in the replacement glass, and had the rep from the other glass shop there watching, as soon as he saw a screw into the corner of the glass he truned around and walked off, didnt say nothing after he talked a bunch of shi saying it was our doing. that glass shop did send us a check to reimburse us for the glass.

I would recommend pics of everything anymore, Also Mdog, I'm a little shocked you had a break w/n1020b I've used a shiot load of it with out probs, do you think r-20 would have been better? I have found the bronze sputtered films to be very safe, I have noticed more seal failure with the old n1035 and V33 but they are in the nuets not the bronze so tha is the best of my guessing on what films and why.

we use n1020b on almost everything just because its safe. whenever we get breakage it has to be the glass......I used to not think about it too much but since I have had glass shops bring by glass before they install it I have noteced how jacked up the edges are on them. I am convinced when you have 1 out of 20 or so break its because of the glass is in sh!tty shape with defect on the edges in the first place.

True story

Over a month ago I went to a house to discuss fading of a woman's furnishings to a new home that has low-e glass. She wanted as light as possible since we were only installing on a select few to her home. She finally decided to use Huper Sech, and we scheduled her.

I got a call the next day from her wanting to cancel the install. She had just had a conversation with the builder of her home about some other warranty issues and she mentioned she was going to have her windows done. This guy had the nads to tell her that low-e will take care of fading, that if we installed the film there would be glass all over the room from it breaking.

After about 20 mins of walking her through the glass specs and our specs, she kept the install date.

The guys went there to install the film, and low and behold a window up high had a crack. My guys informed her of the problem and told her she needed to get it replaced before we install the film to that one window.

This week the guys went back and installed the film on the replaced window. After they finished, she was chuckling. Everything OK, they asked.

She proceded to tell them about her conversation with the builder. When he was there to look at the cracked glass, he told her he was happy she didn't have the film installed and tried to sell her on solar screens. When he left he reminded her never to have film installed on her windows because all of her windows would break. She never told him that the film was already there and he was looking straight at them the past few hours.

The glazers came in the next week to install the glass. She asked them if there was anything about what the builder had said about glass breaking. These glazers, who have been in the glass business for over 15 years said they had never heard such a thing of film breaking windows.

I had something similar happen to me about a month ago. I went to install film at this guys house - I think it was V48, and as I was there tinting, he was outside with his son... and the builder was next door. The builder told the guy he shouldn't have them tinted cause of glass breakage, etc.. The guy is friend's with my boss, so he dismissed what the builder said...

But it's incredible how either people are just mis-informed or for whatever reason don't want us to tint windows. My guess is they were told the false information from someone else who told them who told them and so forth without ever really checking to see what the facts are. :thumb

Guest TintPoser

The biggest problem I run into is what Tinitman speaks of. Someone wants tint, then they talk to the builder or glass guy, then they start worrying. The only film I install have 5 years glass and seal failure and then if it means the sale, I knock down the price of the extended warranty out of the grand total, so they can get the "added Protection" they want.

I also show them some quotes out of US Glass (From FILM) that prove that film has had no effect on breakage and seal failure when non highly reflective and moderate absorption films are applied. I explain what the desiccant strips do inside the IG units and tell them about people having to have windows replaced before I install film on their glass.

If you have some info, you can prove whatever you want. If you understand the info, you can guarantee the job.

Archived