(((Update)))I Am back for A second d/t a Big Job Question...

I was in PA over the weekend to visit my family for the holidays. I am origionall from the Pittsburgh area. Anyways I went out with an old buddy of mine. His dad and him own and operate a big construction company in my old hometown..They do alot of commercial projects in the million dollar plus range and he said he had a commercial project for me if I was interested. They are constructing the interior of a highrise that just went up this year. The entire outside is glass. There will be about 3 floors all the way around that will be nothing but duct work...etc They want those area to be blacked out so none of that stuff can be seen from the outside. These window will be about 30ft off the floor level. He said he is needing black-out on all these windows (approx 200 4ft x 4ft panes all the way around). They are dual pane tempered. Will putting black-out on those windows be problematic with heat absorption issues? It sounds like a no brainer but I have never done a high rise. Is the glass on these buildings stronger being a highrise and all or what? If blackout is a no no, then what other choice is there that wont change the aesthetics of the building loking from the outside? I thought maybe a darker non reflective may work since there will never be lights on the interior space. Comments? Suggestions?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats a nice job dude good luck with the bidding on that by the way I think the black out is a no no jwf or madi has some dark film for that with pretty low heat absorbance

Don't have to bid on this one. My friend is giving me the job if I do it for four bones per square. Which I figure is pretty competative for a large commercial job. He even has two scissor lifts I can use already inside. We have been friends since we were kids so we both trust each other like family and help each other out whenever we need it. I will probably go with a darker film with lower absorption.

Actually he called me today and said he is having a meeting with the building owner and they will give him the specs of the window film that needs to be put on there. So I imagine blackout wouldnt be needed after all since these are the architect's specs and I would think they are smarter than that.

Archived