I've never been asked this question before.

Guest tintstardotnet

Guest vclimber
They CAN have tint IF they are not engaged in commerce. No commercial vessel (Charter, commercial fishing, transport, etc) can have tint applied to the pilothouse or inside steering station. NONE! My boat gets chartered out most of the year, so I have no tint on the pilothouse. It's not a state regulation but a federal one. State marine patrols enforce it as well as the Coasties. (Jack-Booted water Nazis)

This is on the Ocean, a marine environment. On a freshwater lake or waterway, I'm not sure if a private vessel can be prohibited from tint, 'cuz there are different "rules of the road" for inland waterways. I for one probably wouldn't have it strictly for liability reasons. In the event of a collision involving injuries or property loss, you may not be held criminally liable, but you could be held liable for negligence in a civil case if it was shown that tint limited your ability to see at night. (Or any other time for that matter.)

I gotta check with the Coasties on this, 'cuz I've done a lot of houseboats here on Chicamauga Lake. I have even tinted the front glass, although I HIGHLY suggest they don't. Most people only go out in fair weather, so they steer from the fly bridge, but all it would take is get caught out in a sudden squall or storm. I've not ever heard of any tickets, but then, ya just never know!

They must not enforce that law very well because this guy has been all over national television fishing for crab. :spit

crabboat.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest FilmBlazer
They must not enforce that law very well because this guy has been all over national television fishing for crab. :spit

crabboat.jpg

Ahahahaha, nice tintz.

I have tinted a few boats, some where the glass is used for vision and some of the glass is strictly aesthetic. I am not aware of any laws in Michigan prohibiting glass tinting on marine vessels.... And I am very surprised, something I think I will check into next week.

Guest Key West

crabboat.jpg

And we gots lotsa folks driving with double aught 5 too. But it's STILL illegal. Also, WHERE the boat is registered or documented (and it COULD be just for a documented vessel) could play a factor. There is a WHOLE bunch of regs for a "documented vessel" that do not apply to simply registered vessels. There are Pros and Cons to documenting a vessel. Google it.

Good catch tho... I never saw that! :spit

Guest haroldshouseoftint
They must not enforce that law very well because this guy has been all over national television fishing for crab. :beer

crabboat.jpg

:beer Nice tint job there V man, is that Huper :nuts:spit:lol2:lol2:spit:nuts

I saw that on the discovery channel, and I think you posted that about 8 months ago or so, but I honestly have NO IDEA on the laws for boats, I know I've wrapped a few in 5% :spit

Guest vclimber
:beer Nice tint job there V man, is that Huper :lol2:spit:lol2:spit:spit:lol2

I saw that on the discovery channel, and I think you posted that about 8 months ago or so, but I honestly have NO IDEA on the laws for boats, I know I've wrapped a few in 5% :nuts

:nuts Thanks but it wasn't me. I believe he got it done in Jacksonville... Hanita or Geoshield most likely. :beer:lol2

Guest CajunTinter
:rollin:dunno:rollin

I have looked also; and inquired with the coast guard; and they tell me no.... there are no laws concerning maritime limits on film ... :rollin:dunno

UPDATE

I did some work for a Coast Guard guy yesterday; he assures me that there are CG regulations concerning film on commercial and recreational vessels. He is supposed to get me copies of these regulations this week...

I will post the results as soon as I get them ...

Archived