I've never been asked this question before.

Guest tintstardotnet

To my knowledge, no they do not. Back in the Keys, I ran a charter boat P/T, and owned a tint shop full time. I remember when they started enforcing the rules on commercial vessels, but never heard of a private vessel being ticketed, and believe you me, between the Dept of Natural Resources, Fla Fish & Game, FDLE, and the Coasties boarding vessels just LOOKING for violations, I would DEFINATELY have heard about it. (Friggin Water Nazis)

:thumb:thumb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest General Sun Shield
You did this on the "Bridge" Of a Coastie boat? HorseHockey!!! The 5" strip I MIGHT buy (still technically illegal), but 35% on any window adjacent to the windshield :shock:dunno . ESPECIALLY on a gov't vessel!

Just as with any GOVERNMENT Vessel..or Vehicle for that matter,,,they have exemptions.

In NJ it is not legal for ANY FILM on the front driver and passenger side windows of a motor vehicle.

Thats why the NJ State Police had me Tint over 30 SUV's in NR5 . ALL GLASS...and 15 Crown Vic's with all Markings ,not undercover vehicles, on ALL GLASS.

When I first got the call I did mention that I do not do Front Windows due to the law.

Well Guess What....I got the green light on this due to the exemption.I think you would have taken the P.O. on this job also.

So while the general public can not use this exemption....they can!

Same goes for the Coast Guard.

They can do whatever they want if they have a valid reason.

They will find an exemption. The NJ State Police used the reason that they had Sensitive Equipment in the SUV's that were used for Crime Scene Investigations and prolonged exposure to Heat and SunLight will damage the Exspensive Equipment.

And if these Government / State Facilities OK the Installations... I have Broken No Law.

Hope this clears up YOUR CONFUSION! :evileye

Guest Key West
Just as with any GOVERNMENT Vessel..or Vehicle for that matter,,,they have exemptions.

In NJ it is not legal for ANY FILM on the front driver and passenger side windows of a motor vehicle.

Thats why the NJ State Police had me Tint over 30 SUV's in NR5 . ALL GLASS...and 15 Crown Vic's with all Markings ,not undercover vehicles, on ALL GLASS.

When I first got the call I did mention that I do not do Front Windows due to the law.

Well Guess What....I got the green light on this due to the exemption.I think you would have taken the P.O. on this job also.

So while the general public can not use this exemption....they can!

Same goes for the Coast Guard.

They can do whatever they want if they have a valid reason.

They will find an exemption. The NJ State Police used the reason that they had Sensitive Equipment in the SUV's that were used for Crime Scene Investigations and prolonged exposure to Heat and SunLight will damage the Exspensive Equipment.

And if these Government / State Facilities OK the Installations... I have Broken No Law.

Hope this clears up YOUR CONFUSION! :evileye

Whatever helps ya sleep at night, Bro!! Personally, I aint going for it but hey, I wasn't there. Read the Code. It's pretty clear, with NO exemptions like most states have. :shock

Guest General Sun Shield
Whatever helps ya sleep at night, Bro!! Personally, I aint going for it but hey, I wasn't there. Read the Code. It's pretty clear, with NO exemptions like most states have. :shock

No Exemptions?

What is the Medical Exemption for the general popluation than?

I guess you dont get contracts with State or Government Agencies Much.. :evileye

But its all good! :dunno

I respect your time in the biz...but we also have been around since 74...so We are NOT A CHOP SHOP or would do Anything that would

cause a bad rep. We would not Still be Here if that was the case.

Guest General Sun Shield

Ch. 45 75 Section 4524 (e)(1)

(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

(2) This subsection does not apply to:

any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

Now this refers to Motor Vehicle but lets face it..a government vehicle,or a Government Vessel, They can find a reason, file for an exemption. So my guess is its the same government that owns a Police Vehicle , would own A C.G. Vessel.

No doubt police and government vehicles and vessels are exempt from a lot of rules that apply to the common population.

BUT, 5% on the front of any vehicle is just plain dangerous... :shock:dunno

No amount of driver training is going to help anyone safely see at night.... :evileye

Exempt or not, I personally would have to express my concern and talk them out of it...

Guest Key West
Ch. 45 75 Section 4524 (e)(1)

(e) Sun screening and other materials prohibited.

(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any sun screening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing or side window of the vehicle.

(2) This subsection does not apply to:

any hearse, ambulance, government vehicle or any other vehicle for which a currently valid certificate of exemption has been issued in accordance with regulations adopted by the department.

Now this refers to Motor Vehicle but lets face it..a government vehicle,or a Government Vessel, They can find a reason, file for an exemption. So my guess is its the same government that owns a Police Vehicle , would own A C.G. Vessel.

State and federal are 2 different agencies. But hey, Peace. I'm out!

Guest General Sun Shield
No doubt police and government vehicles and vessels are exempt from a lot of rules that apply to the common population.

BUT, 5% on the front of any vehicle is just plain dangerous... :dunno:thumb

No amount of driver training is going to help anyone safely see at night.... :shock

Exempt or not, I personally would have to express my concern and talk them out of it...

I agree 100% with you on the safety issue.

I did talk to them about vision concerns at night and offered a 15%(not much better) and 20-35%.

They wanted 5% for whatever reason.

Now this was done 5 years ago,since then I have been back to install on more vehicles but 20% on the fronts!

So driver complaints may have happened..?? Who knows?

Alot of times its up to the Man in charge who really is not out on the streets and has no input,or cares less about input, from the officers who actually drive these vehicles. :evileye I'm just a contractor in thier eyes!

But I agree with you!

Guest General Sun Shield
State and federal are 2 different agencies. But hey, Peace. I'm out!

you got me there...but they operate the same I would think....Peace :evileye

Archived