NC Tint Law Question

Guest bankerjohn

Guest bankerjohn

I recently moved to Morehead City from Florida, and have been trying to get my car to pass inspection here in NC. The station I took it to originally failed it because the windshield banner was too long (extended more than 5" from the top of the windshield). So I took it to a shop here and they removed the old banner and installed a new one that was only 5" ... but they used a darker film than what was on there originally (35%). Now the station is still failing my car because they say the windshield banner is legal as to its length, but the tint is only 9%.

I called the shop that replaced the banner, and they said that they've been putting on darker windshield banners for 4 years ... and only one other customer had a problem getting it to pass inspection ... at the same station I used!

So ... my question for you guys in North Carolina ... do you limit your windshield banners to 35% (or 32%)? And if not, do you have any suggestions how I can get the station to pass my car, short of removing the banner or replacing it (again) with lighter film?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or information!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would take my car somewhere else because I've never interpreted the law that way. when you pull the law up online the only spec for windshields is 5" or as1 line. the light transmission refers to all "other" windows in the car. I'm assuming this inspection station has a two piece meter so they could measure windows that don't roll down. on my windshield I would say just the factory tint is darker than 32%.

Guest bankerjohn
Is your banner factory tinted and then tinted over?

I can't remember for sure if there's factory tint under the banner ... but probably is ... it's a 2003 Toyota Avalon.

The ironic thing about this is ... the guy that installed the tint (in Florida) made the windshield banner too long ... and the NC station failed me for that reason to begin with. So I took the car to a local tint shop to have it removed and replaced with a 5" banner ... and without asking what I wanted put back on, they used 15% (which, presumably with the factory tint, brought the winshield down to 9%).

When I took the "now legal" car back to the inspection station, they failed me again ... this time for the tint percent!!!

NC law states 5" or to AS1 line which ever is GREATER.

NO VLT restriction on w/shield strips.

You have the choice of reporting them to the DMV and telling them why they wouldn't pass you, they will get a short lesson in the law from the inspector.

I am a NC state inspector and I fail people for !llegal tint all the time, but never for a w/shield strip, unless it's way too low.

They are busting your balls for nothing.

Report them, that will straighten them out.

Most of it is up to interpretation by the person doing the inspection and sometimes they get it wrong...

Archived