NC Tint Law Question

Guest bankerjohn

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried to tell you that VLT does NOT matter for w/shield strips. :nope But what do I know, I only do this sh!t everyday.... :spit

The law states, to AS-1 line or 5 inches, which ever is greater..... THAT'S ALL.... You can paint that sh!t if you want, just as long as it isn't lower than 5in. or AS-1.....

The guys inspecting it are idiots if they think otherwise.... Alot of those rules are up for interpretation, but in most cases the techs don't bother to read the material and make it up as they feel fit...

I even went as far as asking the DMV officer that comes to do periodic inspections of our station if there were any VLT restrictions for that.... She said NO, then called another officer and they said NO as well.....

Sounds like you had to go around your a$$ to get to your elbow, but at least you had them schooled after it was all said and done.... :spit

Guest Key West
UPDATE: I finally got hold of an "official" of the DMV (Lt. Bradley) in Raleigh yesterday afternoon. He was very patient and listened to my agruments as to why I believed that the current law didn't restrict the light transmission percentage of the windshield banner. Then he politely disagreed with my arguments, and suggested that I should contact my legislative representative in an effort to get the statutes changed to clarify the restrictions on the windshield tint. So I thought ... OK, just another dead-end!

Then I asked him if I was the only person that had ever questioned this part of the law, and he said "yes" ... as far as he could remember. Then he said that, if I'd give him my phone number, he would "ask around the department" to see if anyone else in the DMV had been confronted with this issue ... but it would likely be Monday before he called me back. So I thought ... maybe this was just another dead-end.

Well much to my amazement, about 30 minutes later, the phone rang ... and it was Lt. Bradley. He wanted to let me know that he had contacted the NC Attorney General's office ... and they agreed with me! Then he proceeded to ask me for the name and phone number of the shop where I took my car for its failed inspection. He said he would call them and inform them of his findings ... and that I should now be able to return to the shop and get my overdue inspection sticker.

I'm going to head over to that shop this morning, hopefully to get my sticker! Stay tuned ...

SUCCESS ... I'm finally legal!

Well hose me down and call me flipper!!!!! :lol2 I wanna move to NC now!!! Civil Servants who CARE? And actually go above and beyond the call of the coffee machine? Congratulations Dude. THATS a first!!! Instills ones faith in the system (Well OK, ALMOST!!!)

I tried to tell you that VLT does NOT matter for w/shield strips. :nope But what do I know, I only do this sh!t everyday.... :lol

The law states, to AS-1 line or 5 inches, which ever is greater..... THAT'S ALL.... You can paint that sh!t if you want, just as long as it isn't lower than 5in. or AS-1.....

The guys inspecting it are idiots if they think otherwise.... Alot of those rules are up for interpretation, but in most cases the techs don't bother to read the material and make it up as they feel fit...

I even went as far as asking the DMV officer that comes to do periodic inspections of our station if there were any VLT restrictions for that.... She said NO, then called another officer and they said NO as well.....

Sounds like you had to go around your a$ to get to your elbow, but at least you had them schooled after it was all said and done.... :spit

Shady, I read the statute entirely. It could be considered ambiguous, but the take I got was that it was subject to the 35% rule. (Generally, you have to look at it the way the Gov't would look at it. Generally NOT in your favor!!!) Dude DID skool 'em tho, didn't he? :spit:nope

Guest S and S

Actually I got a ticket for having a vinyl banner with my shops name. The trooper told me it has to be transparent.

Actually I got a ticket for having a vinyl banner with my shops name. The trooper told me it has to be transparent.

That's up to his interpretation of the law.....

He was well within his right to give you a ticket, but you could've gotten out of it.... :thumb

Guest Key West

He was well within his right to give you a ticket, but you could've gotten out of it.... :rollin

In reality, it's NOT up to the troopers interpretation, he's only someone with a VERY rudimentary knowledge of law. What MATTERS is how the Judge interprets it!!!

He was well within his right to give you a ticket, but you could've gotten out of it.... :rollin

In reality, it's NOT up to the troopers interpretation, he's only someone with a VERY rudimentary knowledge of law. What MATTERS is how the Judge interprets it!!!

How is it not up to the trooper, especially out in the field?? :rollin

It's his job to "enforce" the law as he sees fit at the time, be it right or wrong...

True his knowledge may be limited, compared to a judge and in this case I'd say he was wrong, but the fact remains she got a ticket she could've gotten out of... :welcome

Archived