NC Tint Law Question

Guest bankerjohn

or you could install huper 40% on your entire shield like I have in my car... Maybe they wouldnt notice it at all!! :lol2

you cry about what's happening to our industry and then suggest to someone who's having legal issues with their tint to do something totally illegal. jackass. :spit

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West

I see nothing in the wording about a VLT for the windshield strip or "banner". Heres a link to NC's law:

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_nc.html

Note that after the legal requirements for the windshield are given, it states that any OTHER window may be tinted with the following restrictions.

The whole purpose of a "banner" or windshield strip is to reduce glare. I have NEVER put a 35% strip on a car. That is a RIP OFF.

Guest Key West

:spit:lol2 OH CRAP! I guess I should have read a bit further to where it states that "without exception the windshield is subject to the restrictions!!! MY BAD!! Mouth is open, foot inserted!!!

Sorry guys!!

Guest bankerjohn
:spit:lol2 OH CRAP! I guess I should have read a bit further to where it states that "without exception the windshield is subject to the restrictions!!! MY BAD!! Mouth is open, foot inserted!!!

Sorry guys!!

Yea ... that's what the DMV inspector that I called told me .... BUT, that assumes that when it says the "window tinting restrictions in subsection (b) of this section" ... it includes subdivisions (b)(1) and (b)(2)! The 2nd sentence in subsection © goes on to specifically exclude certain vehicles from the tinting restrictions .... "The window tinting restrictions in subdivisions (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section do not apply to any of the following vehicle windows:"

I've sent an e-mail to my legislative representative asking for help in finding out who the author(s) of this particular statute was(were) so that I might ask him (or them) what the intent was. Probably won't get a reply, but I thought I'd at least try.

Guest Key West
Yea ... that's what the DMV inspector that I called told me .... BUT, that assumes that when it says the "window tinting restrictions in subsection (b) of this section" ... it includes subdivisions (b)(1) and (b)(2)! The 2nd sentence in subsection © goes on to specifically exclude certain vehicles from the tinting restrictions .... "The window tinting restrictions in subdivisions (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section do not apply to any of the following vehicle windows:"

I've sent an e-mail to my legislative representative asking for help in finding out who the author(s) of this particular statute was(were) so that I might ask him (or them) what the intent was. Probably won't get a reply, but I thought I'd at least try.

Does your vehicle fall into one of the "excluded vehicle" categories? :lol

Guest Key West
Afraid not :lol

That sux. Sorry. I gotta admire your perseverance tho. At least you bothered to research and contact the folks who could answer your q, not just relying on the words you read on an internet forum!! :lol

Guest bankerjohn

UPDATE: I finally got hold of an "official" of the DMV (Lt. Bradley) in Raleigh yesterday afternoon. He was very patient and listened to my agruments as to why I believed that the current law didn't restrict the light transmission percentage of the windshield banner. Then he politely disagreed with my arguments, and suggested that I should contact my legislative representative in an effort to get the statutes changed to clarify the restrictions on the windshield tint. So I thought ... OK, just another dead-end!

Then I asked him if I was the only person that had ever questioned this part of the law, and he said "yes" ... as far as he could remember. Then he said that, if I'd give him my phone number, he would "ask around the department" to see if anyone else in the DMV had been confronted with this issue ... but it would likely be Monday before he called me back. So I thought ... maybe this was just another dead-end.

Well much to my amazement, about 30 minutes later, the phone rang ... and it was Lt. Bradley. He wanted to let me know that he had contacted the NC Attorney General's office ... and they agreed with me! Then he proceeded to ask me for the name and phone number of the shop where I took my car for its failed inspection. He said he would call them and inform them of his findings ... and that I should now be able to return to the shop and get my overdue inspection sticker.

I'm going to head over to that shop this morning, hopefully to get my sticker! Stay tuned ...

Archived