Article about illegal tinting

This quote chokes me up:

?People get their windows tinted for two reasons ? comfort and criminal,? said Fort Myers police Cpl. Michael Payne. ?(The tinted window traffic stop) frequently leads to something bigger ? Dr*gs, guns and money.?

Haha.. So, there you go.. There are apparently no other reasons for dark tint, other than Dr*g & gun running.

my thoughts exactly, what about appearence. I've had so many people come to me and ask for 20% 10% and even 5% just because it "Looks Cool".

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before I started tinting I bought a car with 20% all of the way around. I got pulled over and got a ticket so I pulled the tint. a week or two ago The same damn cop that pulled me over, told my my tint was illegal, and gave me a 45 dollar fine for too dark of tint asked me to put 5% all the way around on his mustang. I said "hahaha you don't remember me do you?" He goes "I remember you I gave you a ticket for dark tint" I say "Whats wrong with you you hypocrit" He said "The difference between me and you is I can get away with it because I am chief of police in this town" I then said "So if you saw me driving around with 5% you would let me off because I did your car right?" He says "Yea right hahaha." Then I said " Are you organizing a sting or something." I am the only tinter in town so he couldn't really be trying too damn hard. He says "No I just want it done" I asked is this a show car "nope, my daily driver." I go I'll do the back as dark as you want because that is legal he said "Fine" I say "Alright 150 bucks" he bitched a little then said fine and asked if I would sell him some tint. I smiled and said "sorry I'm running low and have a few more cars to do but you can get this stuff at wal-mart, thats were I get all of my tint he said GREAT!! the next day I saw a dirt filled bubbled up mustang (only on the rollups) and I just had to chuckle to myself. What I say is practice what you preach but apparently if you want special treatment, become a worker for the gov't

Chris

Guest Me_shelli

:lol I had one bad day before they changed the law here allowing the driver/ passanger window to be tinted. My husband, at the time he was my fiance, had a 87 Accord, that he had bought with purply tint all the way around. :lol He hadn't taken it off, sence he hadn't owned the car all that long. So any way I was driving through town having a very bad day. I had the windows up so that my hair wouldn't get messed up. Well, I got pulled over, by a Highway patrol man right in the middle of town. :lol He had no tolerance for me. I handed him my licence and my huband's proof of insurance. He gave me a ticket and told me to take it off or I would get another one. :lol6 Well I took it off and took it by the police station :lol Had an officer sign off on it. :lol:lol It just laughed when he saw who the ticket was issued by. Had to go to the court house 2 months later, so them the citation and that it was signed off on. Took a morning of standing in line. And they waved it and sent me on my merry way. :lol

Personally I don't know why any one would wanna spend all this time just for tint that they think "looks cool". :lol My car is legal all the way around. :lol

Guest SQUEEGEE
now, were YOU aware that the law for the eyebrow was 5" OR the AS-1 line, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield?

if you did know that, you're among probably 5 tinters and 1 cop that knows that. the one cop that knew that is because I explained it to him.

Yeah,

I know and have always known the restrictions regarding the AS1 line.

It's one of the very reasons I started contouring my visors before installation so my brows don't have the frown look that's quite common around here.

As for being "hung-over" ?

:lol6

Guest thetintshop
It's one of the very reasons I started contouring my visors before installation so my brows don't have the frown look that's quite common around here.

I do that to. only I charge $35 for it cause it takes longer and uses more film. they don't want to pay that, then they get the frown look.

I don't like doing w/s strips, so I don't offer the 'contoured' edge :thumb and when we explain the AS1 line to them, they're like, ok go ahead, so I lay a piece of film across the glass, then go get them, "look, I don't wanna waste your money but this just isnt worth it in my opinion. " then they get smart and don't go with it :lol I've had 1 guy on an explorer do it, and a ford focus....both of these had like an inch and a half of film in the center of the glass :thumb:lol:DD

Guest Doctortint

:rollin

Hey TD,

where'd you get your info on MA from? I've been tinting in this state for close to 7 years and been up and down with the % debate ever since. The latest word I've heard is that there can be no greater than a combined 35% on any passenger vehicle.

Heck, I've been stripping the sliding doors and rear windows on caravans that I tinted when I started in 20% (so they's look factory). It's been a pain in the butt, at least I get more to strip them now. :thumbdown

It seems to me that state inspection stations have a bigger problem with tint than the police do.

Here is the section of law I go by, (pay attention to the first section labled (4):

GENERAL LAWS OF MASSACHUSETTS

PART I.

ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT.

TITLE XIV.

PUBLIC WAYS AND WORKS.

CHAPTER 90. MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT.

Chapter 90: Section 9D. Windshields and windows obscured by nontransparent materials, signs, stickers, etc.; penalties.

Section 9D. No person shall operate any motor vehicle upon any public way or upon any way to which the public shall have the right of access with any of the following affixed thereto:

(1) a sign, poster or sticker on the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the operator's seat and the front passenger seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window in such a manner so as to obstruct, impede or distort the vision of the operator.

(2) nontransparent or sunscreen material, window application, reflective film or nonreflective film used in any way to cover or treat the front windshield, the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator's seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window, so as to make such windshield and said window glass areas in any way nontransparent or obscured from either the interior or exterior thereof.

This section shall not apply to:

(1) motor vehicles manufactured with windshields and window glass areas equipped in accordance with specifications of 49 Code of Federal Regulations 571.205 as authorized by 15 USC 1407.

(2) the use of draperies, louvers, or other special window treatments, except those specifically designated in this section, on the rear window, or a side window to the rear of the driver if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

(3) federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, watch guard or patrol agencies licensed under the provisions of section twenty-five of chapter one hundred and forty-seven and college, university and hospital police agencies appointed under the provisions of section sixty-three of chapter twenty-two C utilizing K-9 teams in a motor vehicle while in the regular performance of their duties provided said motor vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

(4) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material or window application which has a total visible light reflectance of not more than thirty-five per cent or a visible light transmittance of not less than thirty-five per cent on the side windows immediately adjacent to the right and left of the operator's seat, the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat or on the rear window if the vehicle is equipped with two outside mirrors, one on each side, adjusted so that the driver has a clear view of the highway behind the vehicle.

(5) the use of any transparent material limited to the uppermost 6%2d along the top of the windshield, provided such strip does not encroach upon the driver's direct forward viewing area as more particularly described and defined in applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

(6) a vehicle registered in another state, territory or another country or province.

(7) the use of nontransparent or sunscreen material, window application, reflective film or nonreflective film used in any way to cover or treat the side windows immediately to the rear of the operator's seat and the front passenger seat and the rear window so as to make such window glass areas in any way nontransparent or obscured from either the interior or exterior thereof of a private passenger motor vehicle registered under the provisions of this chapter for public livery and hired for that purpose for any period of time which exclusion shall not include a taxicab.

(8) special window treatment or application determined necessary by a licensed physician, for the protection of the owner or operator of a private passenger motor vehicle who is determined to be light or photosensitive. Applications for such exemption based upon such medical reason or reasons shall be made in writing to the medical advisory board established under section eight C. All applications must be supported by a written attestation of a physician licensed to practice in this commonwealth of the necessity thereof. Upon granting of such exemption by the board, the registrar shall issue a sufficiently noticeable sticker to the applicant which shall be affixed to the side window immediately adjacent to the operator. The registrar shall keep a record of all such exemption stickers so issued.

The registrar shall, in accordance with the provisions of section thirty-one, establish rules and regulations to provide standards to measure the aforementioned percentage of reflectance and transmittance of light, and shall provide for testing of any motor vehicle glazing alleged to be in violation of this section. A statement from the registrar attesting that such glazing treated or covered with nontransparent or sunscreen material window application or reflective film is in compliance with the provisions of this section shall be prima facie evidence of such compliance in any prosecution thereof.

No person shall manufacture, sell, offer for sale or trade, equip or operate a motor vehicle in the commonwealth in violation of the provisions of this section; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the manufacture or sale of reflective or nonreflective film in the commonwealth.

Violations of any provisions of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more than two hundred and fifty dollars. Upon a third or subsequent conviction of a violation of the provisions of this section, the registrar shall suspend the operator's license of a person so convicted for a period not to exceed ninety days.

Archived