Audi A8 Rear Deck Removal

Guest princealyy

Guest Rockabilly

For anyone who cant find the old post, I saved a copy of the old "how to remove A8 rear tray" post on my hard drive, this is what I have. I dont know who posted it originally, but thanks to you whoever you are.

--snip--

I hope you have some time to read this, so here it goes.

First you need to remove the rear seat cushion, lift up on the front edge of the seat, as it is attached with a pop in tab on either side. Once you unfasten the seat from the car, you will need to unplug all of the electronics from the seat bottom.

Now you need to get the seat back out. There are, I believe 8 bolts (I cant remember exactly what size, but they are fairly large, 17-19mm) attaching the seatback to the car at the bottom of the seat where the seatbelts are. Take all of these out, but VERY IMPORTANT, keep all of these in order where they go and what brackets accompany them because they are not all the same.

Once all of those bolts are removed, then raise the middle headrest up as far as it will go, and hidden behind the leather flap are two 10mm bolts, remove those. Flip down the center armrest and pop out the little trim ring around the trunk pass-through panel. It is just clipped in, no screws. Now grab the bottom of the seatback and pull straight up towards the roof and it will come off of the two hooks holding it in.

Now the seatback is out, set it aside. Now you need to take off all of the pillar covers in order to remove the rear deck. The C-pillar cover is actually two or three separate pieces, attached with a few 10mm bolts and a few torx screws. I cant remember how many exactly, but they are clearly visible at this time. Then you need to remove the grab-handle, pull the handle down, and there are two torx screws covered by two little plastic covers.

Once you get the grab handle out, take out the popdown hook, by opening it and taking out the screw inside. Once that is out there is one more screw behind where the hook was that is holding the piece to the car. Now all of the pillar covers will be off and you just need to remove the deck, as it goes about 6 inches up the window and its virtually impossible to squeege behind this. I tried, no good.

Pop off the subwoofer grille (no screws) now there are 4 torx holding the deck down around the sub remove these. Now pop off the speakergrille/brakelight cover that is at the very back of the deck, (no screws here either, but you will need to unplug the brake light. There will be I believe two screws under this brakelight cover holding the deck down. Once all of those have been removed, you need to go inside the trunk compartment and drop the upper carpeting to remove the last few screws holding the deck down. There are three black plastic pop out tabs, remove these, also remove the two pull down hooks (two phillips screws in each one). Now start pulling the carpeting down just until it reveals the bolts that attach the deck (under where the sunshade is) to the frame.

I cant remember what size or how many, but I believe they are 14mm and Im pretty sure there are three. Once you have removed these bolts from the trunk compartment, the deck will slide right out. Some tips that I learned that I wished someone had told me, wait to do the quarter windows until you reassemble the deck as I messed up both of them in the process. Make sure and keep track of each and every screw, bolt, and everything else and keep them in exact order as to where they go and what they attach to, I spent more time than I wanted to attempting to put the wrong screw in the wrong place.

Most of all just take your time and stay away from any handguns or other potentially dangerous items until after you have finished, or you may be tempted to use them in a manner not approved by the manufacturer.

Good luck.

I am not able to check this message board as often as I would like, but if you have a question please feel free to email me at b_primaris@hotmail.com.

I will be more than happy to help you to avoid the mental anguish that I endured doing the first one.

--snip--

Guest johnanez1
I've done a million of them, and a bunch of the W12 version's also with the alacantar. I've never had a problem with stains, just go easy on the water. I use Joy, and It wont stain the fabric.

so what do you do to tint the front doors do you remove the panels being that its such a tight squeeze by the mirror?

I've done a million of them, and a bunch of the W12 version's also with the alacantar. I've never had a problem with stains, just go easy on the water. I use Joy, and It wont stain the fabric.

so what do you do to tint the front doors do you remove the panels being that its such a tight squeeze by the mirror?

what does common sence tell you to do?.. so you never see that same car back in your shop.Folks with 100K+cars will pay if upsold properly.They have the papers $$$.

Guest johnanez1

what does common sence tell you to do?.. so you never see that same car back in your shop.Folks with 100K+cars will pay if upsold properly.They have the papers $$$.

what does common sense tell me to do?

what does common sense tell me to do?

that only you can answer as a wise tinter. Some people will pass the job to a shop that can facilitate tough cars. Audi has always made the tightest interiors.

Guest dennissierra

WOW a million u must be rich just doing audio a 8's cool!!

ive done it without taking nuttin out just squeeze my way in make sure u get it done in "one piece no crease" ;)

Guest vclimber

WOW a million u must be rich just doing audio a 8's cool!!

Actually I'd say he is getting rich tinting all those Rolls Royces' and high rise buildings... you should see his pics. :rollin

Archived