How To install Felt Properly ?

Guest Thetintcenter
Obvious noob question:

Why do you have to install felt? I havent run into that yet? :thumb

Not exactly a noob question. For example the 07' Accords, Mustangs, and some other makes there isn't felt on the inside of the door gaskets so a felt skin is applied after removing the gasket to help eliminate scratches from rolling the windows up and down.

I am using the gray felt, real nice "looking" felt, I use Hi-sheen to clean rubber, steel wool to scuff the rubber, and the shiot will not stay on. I got about all the cars we've done coming back everyother week to put a new piece on. Only the two front doors, I assume the rear are not falling off due to not rolling the window down as often. Just with film, I tell the customer to keep the windows up for 5-7 days.

Guest Litespeeds

I've been installing felt for some time now and the problem cars are the Accord, TL, Mustang, some new BMW 3-series, etc. Any car that has a silicone trim as nothing really sticks well to silicone. Even tried sanding it, alcohol, special vinyl cleaners, etc., nothing really works. I think the main trick is to get a larger piece of felt like 3/4" so it fits perfectly in between the dual wiper design.

I have felt on my 2000 MBZ S-Class for over 5 years with no problems at all.

After looking at my book, it is the TL's that I am having the problem with. There are two rubber flaps on each front door, the bottom one is the one that keeps peeling on me. The top flap seems to hold quite well. I am hoping that the bottom flap is not the one scratching the film.

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

I've had the same problem on the TL's myself, they come off over time and leave glue streaks on the window. I've tried using alcohol, heat and sanding, but they keep coming off eventually. WTF?

Guest Litespeeds
I cut the bottom rubber off and just felt the top one, never had any complaints and we have been doing it that way for about 5 years.

That is not a good way of trying to solve the problem. You will end up creating more problems for yourself as this reduces the air seal from the door trim and some customer's might hear more wind/road noise from their doors.

I think the felt must stop the wind noise better than the extra flap as I've done my own car this way and it has no more wind noise.

Also make sure the bottom of the window film doesn't finish above the bottom felt if you are doing both rubbers, as it will catch and peel it down.

Archived