Security Film, Horrible

Guest rd25

Guest rd25

We had security film installed 15 mil by a reputable, at least that's what we thought, company yesterday. Today we notice all our windows have some kind of stains (in between film and window), maybe glue stains AND bubbles have appeared - some large ones in many areas. These bubbles distort the view, the stains look aweful and it looks like they can't be taken out since they are inside the film. Please tell me - what has gone wrong? We had perfectly fine brand new windows to start with. I'd like to know also if this security film can be removed - because I don't think these stains can be removed and that bubbles will disappear. I think it will only get worse, but I'm not an expert that's why I need your opinion..... PLEASE tell me the truth, I can't find anything about this problem anywhere on the net :(

call the company and explain (nicely) your concerns. There is a curing period for all film which can take 60+ days depending on film choice and other conditions. 15mil is thick and takes long to dry! Did you get a warranty? It should explain the drying time and what to expect until then. Did the company leave a care and cleaning sheet? A reputable one will. Remember to be nice when you call. We get calls all the time about "bubbles" which turn out to be totally normal and part of the curing process.

Guest rd25

Thank you for replying. I've called the company but noone picks up the phone, left message - I'm always 'nice' :krazy Yeah, I know, some people can be pretty rude when calling, but that's not me. Well, their warranty says - "limited lifitime warranty against peeling, cracking, fading and delaminating". What is delaminating? They didn't leave warranty when they left, said they'll give it to me (didn't have it on them). Also, they didn't leave a 'care kit'. What would that kit normally have? I can't reach them, but I don't want to worsen the problem - what do you suggest maybe there's something I could do right now?

Bubbles are not small, clusters of them of about 1"-2" in diameter and they distort the view outside. My guess, if these bubbles water evaporates inside, then where will this extra film go? It will still be distorted view!! No?

What's your opinion of stains inside? Seems like glue and water didn't properly set - it looks like dirt, very visible. The technique they used was spraying film with water and applying to the window, then using a scrungee and towels to wipe the film.

Would you know what kind of glue these security films have (based on this technique). Maybe it's not too late to remove this film and either redo or leave as it is. As you say it takes a looooong time for glue to cure, so we might still have a chance....

Guest rd25
dude :krazy give it time. ONE day is nothing.

OK. I wish they at least would have told us about the curing process and how it will look afterwards. It better look better!

if you have 15 mil thick film it will take a long time to dry out completely. The care sheet is just how to clean it and the facts that it WILL take TIME to dry out. Give it time. One day is no way enough time to judge how your film will look. It can be removed if it does not dry out right.

If we tinters could get tint on and not have the customer see the film during a curing time then we would not have any complaints!!! Don't look at the film or these bubbles for a couple weeks! IF you obsess over it then it will never seem to go away.!!!!

if its just water it will dry. I've seen large water pockets dry out just fine from 12 mil. think of it as a slightly uneven sheet of water trapped under the film that must dry. it could take as long as a month or so, depending on the exposure of the window. def get the warranty in the meantime.

Guest Bulldog

rd-

YES, it will dry!! The "dirt" you see is more than likely a milky "stain" remaining from the mounting solution. This will diappear within a few days, well before the excess water. Give your guys a few days to produce a warranty. If still no response, come back here with the film manufacturers name and we'll help more...

Guest Almo

Just wondering... when the film was being installed..... did you notice an odour from the liquid that was being applied to the film and glass, or was it "scent free"?

Al from Shatter Safe.

Milky stains are very normal to see the day after, some water pockets are also o.k., a good installer though does not leave too many, let alone some 1-2" in diameter. Depending on the amount of sun the windows get, it can take a few days or weeks up to 6 months or more to dry out completely.

Our care sheet says:

- don't touch the film for 30+ days after installation

- milky stains and water bubbles are seen the day after, please don't worry, it will go away as the material drys, which can take a few weeks depending on the sun exposure

Don't worry, when we don't have a care sheet at hand after the installation (we usually send it out via email anyways), we ALWAYS get calls the day after with this exact same concerns.

Archived