got spanked today

man thought today was gonna be kind of easy. had the lady drop her car off the night before so I could get an early start on it plus the windows wouldnt be freakin cold, got down to like 15 degrees. got to the shop at like 5. started tackling the car a little later. back windows were cake,german chocolate to be specific. I love german chocolate,LOL!!! passenger was easy. the gaskets on this car were loaded with dirt spent like 5 minutes cleaning each door. drivers door slapped me a couple of times. wasnt pulling tint far enough forward before cutting so I had a little bit of a gap on the back. pulled tint and redone it. well im making decent newbie time. then I went to the back glass and oh my GOD. I spent like the next 6 hours fighting that thing and still never got it. had to tell custy to come back next monday, gotta go work at my full time job the rest of the week. called a guy I worked with for a couple of days that taught me a little bit about tinting. he told me yea they are tough for someone who is just beginning. my main problem was when I was shrinking I would try to pull all fingers to the middle at the bottom and at the top but ended up with these huge fingers ( which I call tree trunks cause thats what they look like to me ) in each corner almost by where the glass is about to curve. read on here a few tips and from what ted told me im ready to try to tackle again. well heres hoping next monday goes better. thanks for letting me vent,LOL!!! oh and I honestly almost threw all my stuff in the trash twice but I told myself its just window tinting it can be done you can do this. so my hat goes off ten times to all you guys that make a living doing this job.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Total tint

that back window on that car is a lil challenging for newbies, but if the seals are loaded with dirt you need to spend more than 5 minutes cleaning, no way did they come out right

oh yea dont ever try to pull all the fingers the middle if you do you end up with :evilgrin

well I squirted a lot of water between the gasket and the window then used my pointy card and a lint free rag and just kept running it between the two till I pulled out a clean rag. then realized theres a pocket on the backside door gasket so I rolled it down then cleaned it. pulling the fingers to the middle was the only thing that made sense to me so I could try and get rid of the huge fingers that were stuck in the corners. next time I do this car im gonna take a pic of it. meant to do it this time.

Guest Total tint
well I squirted a lot of water between the gasket and the window then used my pointy card and a lint free rag and just kept running it between the two till I pulled out a clean rag. then realized theres a pocket on the backside door gasket so I rolled it down then cleaned it. pulling the fingers to the middle was the only thing that made sense to me so I could try and get rid of the huge fingers that were stuck in the corners. next time I do this car im gonna take a pic of it. meant to do it this time.

start in the midle of the window and work your way outward(goin up) stretching the fingers with your hand at the top so they are smaller and dont pose problems :evilgrin

This shape civic? These can be tricky

DSC00044.jpg

You can take that top spoiler off the hatch window! 4 10mm nuts. Then it's alot easier to shrink the back glass. Installing that back glass is almost like an old Intregra back glass, kindda hard to squeegee behind the trim even if you take off the cover pieces! So Shadowline is right......kindda tricky!!!!

The topic says its a 98 so it wouldnt be that one. I suppose it could be the older models though. Either way, I would reccomend dry shrinking if you are having troubles with "tree trunks". It will make it a lot easier on you because with dry shrinking, you aren't "forcing" the shrink, you are "relaxing" the film. Also, on that car, the third brake light is molded on the rear deck. If you dont pull the deck, it is damn near impossible to get behind the light, so I would cut around the light. Even though I hate cutting around the light, sometimes, on some cars, its just easier to cut around it.

The new Nissan Versa sedans are this way as well.

Archived