They finally got me...windshield

So I have had 5% on my cars with windshield tinted for the last 15 years. Never got one ticket. They got me about 2 months ago. Here is where it gets tricky. I have a Dodge Magnum...It is declared an "MPV" on the door jam. So the guy gave me a general dark ticket..$91. He didn't mention my windshield. Today I got pulled again. I had since put 30% on the front doors. I kept 15% over the factory on the backs cuz it measures 4% And by Florida law it states an "MPV" can have 6% on the backs with 3% variance. Windshield still tinted though. Today the first thing he mentioned was the windshield. I had no argument. But then he says the backs are !llegal. I told him he is wrong, it is a MPV. He said that my car nor any SUv is a MPV...A MPV in his eyes is a vehicle used to carry multiple people such as a Limo. He said if I used this car as a limo then I could have an argument. So I looked up Florida State Statutes. This is what it says for Multi Purpose Vehicles....

(2) "Multipurpose passenger vehicle" means a motor vehicle with motive power designed to carry 10 persons or fewer which is constructed either on a truck chassis or with special features for occasional off-road operation.

so now I am confused. I thought I had a true MPV and not just a motor vehicle. I have a feeling he is right about the laws. What do you guys think? I'd like to keep the darker on the back, but these guys target my car now. They know me and I am not giving them the satisfaction anymore..

Thanks!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I forgot to mention(not that it matters). The windshield is done in 28% LULU Titanium, which they dont make anymore and I didn't want to remove. I think I'm doing it now though..It did look insanely dark when I had 5 all around and w/s done cuz those windows are real short

What part of Florida are you from? If your from the central Florida area, call 1-800-367-1631 (performance films) ask for Tom Turner! He's the senior film rep for Llumar and knows the Florida state law like the back of his hand on any vehicle! He'll help you out on this matter! :lol

Hey good idea. I know Tom, he is my rep. I'll give him a shout and see what he thinks. Just a footnote. I read through all the state statutes tonight and it basically states...

(3) Any person who sells or installs sunscreening material in violation of any provision of ss. 316.2951-316.2955 is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

That is a penalty of no more than 60 days in jail and $500 fine...I thought the fine was more...

Another side note on that point. I told one of the cops I was a tinter and probably wouldn't remove the dark stuff and that I don't do !llegal tint for ANYONE! Which I pretty much don't. He told me he didn't care if I did. He said I have to make a living. It is the people who knowingly go out and pay to have it installed on their car who he goes after. So I am confused with these cops, I swear. What I have come to realize is they are just lookign to make money. They can give you all the safety bullcrap lines they want. They are looking out for their bottom line!

That is what I always thought! I told him that it says MPV on the doorjam plate and he just said NO. That is not the same thing blah blah blah..wouldn't even look at it. That is where my confusion came in. I still think we are right on this one. I just wanna make sure so the next time I get pulled over I can really argue with them in confidence. It would be pretty awesome to actually get out of a ticket once!

Any vehicle that comes with the option to have factory tint on the rear section is considered a MPV.They can not make a vehicle with factory 20% glass on a vehicle unless it is a MPV it would not be legal to do so,and which your magnum comes with fasctory tint so it is legal.Good luck to you.

Archived