Building your business on the web

For anyone with a website this is for you, for those without... what the hell are you doing without a website???

Back to business, Google Analytics this is a free program offered by Google to help you improove your online results. I am sure many of you are working with Google Adwords already and might be familiar with this program, some might not so I figured I would share this little gem.

Google Analytics gives you a java code you then imbed into each page on your website you would like to track. It will give you a better understanding of how people found your website and where they visit and for how long while on your website. It can show you where people visit from a geographical scale so you can better focus advertising on that region. If you are using Adwords it can help you see which keywords are bringing in results and which aren't thus allowing you to focus your advertising on Adwords producing results. This is the tip of the iceberg in terms of what you can gain from using this free program.

This is a quick explanation, I am not an expert I would recommend exploring the program and taking the tour http://services.google.com/analytics/tour/index_en-US.html

The one thing I have noticed over and over while visiting shops as a rep (Solargard Socal) is how few shops properly utilize their webpage and search engine optimization. Websites need to be updated, this is your business card to the world these days! Simply having a page with a few tinted cars and some info on why hacks should be avoided ain't gonna cut it anymore. While we are all pushing hard to make it out there in these tough economic times there is an ace in the hole with aggressive web marketing... especially if its FREE. Considering everyone who reads this is on a forum I will guess that you are a little more computer savvy than the typical shop, use that to your advantage! I cant remember the last time I picked up a phonebook but I live on the internet and find everything I want through it.

:thumb

My site is hosted by Yahoo (my site and Yahoo sucks) and they have something similar. It breaks everything down to see what people are clicking on, and how they came to my site. I need to get someone else to host me, and help build a better website. I did mine by myself with the template they gave me, but they dont give me much space to expand. Can anyone give me a steer in the right direction as far as hosts?

On a temporary basis I would call their tech and ask them about Google Analytics. Its grown to the point many of the hosting services have formatted the code into the site building program. If you are using the same yahoo service I had when I had my shop you actually get free tech support with it.

:thumb

I have been using it for the past two years and has helped my marketing tremendously. My site is always ranked in the top 5 when people search for anything tint related in my area. Word To the Mutha!!

Hollleeerrrrr!

Can this get into the TOTW vote? I want more medals!!!

Great information, however if you are not willing to fork over money to Google and all of the other search engines, you likely are wasting money on a website. Look into how these hosts generate hits to your web page. If you are a lucrative business and have the extra advertising revenue to afford these services, then, by all means, utilitze them. However, the vast majority of small businesses do not have this luxury. My advice, spend your dollars in other areas. Top notch customer service, expert employees and good, old fashioned cold calls. If you are motivated, committed and dedicated, you will succeed. Make a great day for yourself!

Archived