Jetta Rear Rollups

Guest Foogoo

Hey guys, it's been about a good three or four months since I worked at the tint shop over summer so hopefully you guys will be able to help me out here. The rear rollups of the Jetta shift out of one side of the rubber. How should I cut it? And any tips for applying it? It's been crease city for me so far. Thanks guys. :thumb

They don't actually shift. The back top edge actually just comes away exposing the edge. Cut the edge and top with the window partially rolled down roll it up and cut the forward edge and the bottom. When you install it slide it forward a bit and youll be gold. I cut mine a little backward from that. I start with the window up.

hmm thanks for the suggestion. today I tried to use precut tint. either the cut did not compensate for the back rubber that sort of curves at the bottom or it somehow expected me to tuck it into the rubber without creasing the hell out of it. I'm probably going to have to retrim the precut this time and hope for the best. if anyone has anymore to offer I'm all ears! :thumb

ok I'll be tackling this thing again tuesday so I've been thinking of how I should do it to prevent creasing again. I think it would be easiest to just remove the gasket. can the gasket be yanked out of the door without removing the panel as someone mentioned could be done on a bug? I'm not usually a panel puller but if I end up having to remove it, anything tricky I should look out for? thanks a lot... :rollin

yes, this is how I do them, I take out the bottom rubber without removal of panel. you pull top of panel back which lifts panel out of gasket lip. then use plug puller to pry out gaskets(they sometimes can be stubborn) that's A way..not the ONLY way to tint these cars, you can also just tuck the rubber using an old squeegee.

Use the window molding for a guide, then slide the film toward the rear of the car before you cut the front edge, then back again to do the top. Use a hard card when you bump it and it will tuck in nice. I leave the panels on. They are super easy cars once you get the knack.

Use a hard card when you bump it and it will tuck in nice

So a hard card will get the tint in there fine? I was wondering if there was a way to pull the entire rub rails off so I wouldn't have to deal with them. Last time I set the top of the film fine then rolled the window up to finish up the bottom part. Don't really know how to explain this but right at where the set section (top part) meets the waiting to be set section I couldn't get it in under the rail and it ended up as a big beautiful crease :thumb

Archived