WARNING 2009 Mustang Windshield Problems

is this a joke? why would you pull down on a mirror, it designed to be removed UP. ford makes to different style of rear view mirrors. both are simple wow it takes a special tool. tell me you wouldnt tint a window with out a special tool....for years now I here all the time about this and nobody will spend the ten bucks on the tool that maco makes or any other tool truck.

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I am serious we are paying $400 for a replacement glass today...sucks but custy is handling well.

Our glass guy say it is the way the mirror is positioned on the glass. He says the slightest extra weight, can cause a break in the interior of the glass, so yes, you can break them from adjusting the mirror.

He says it is most of the domestics that are starting to use this thinner laminated glass and he literally replaces the windshields after a rock chip now.

So we are offically done tinting the front strips on Fords or any mirror that needs to be removed...can't be spending all my money on replacement glass. This stuff really pisses me off because I want domestic autos to be successful but then they do cheap stuff like this...how much money do you have to spend to get quality anymore...this is a $28,000 car...

Oh, and Ford told the customer that they have never heard of that before and that he should call his insurance. Bullshit. He says this is the last Ford he will buy. Way to go, Ford, lost another one.

And by the way, we have all the tools and decided not to remove the mirror, just to adjust the mirror downward and it cracked, the customer could have done it, all we heard was a pop, we didn't force it or anything...we have been tinting for 15 years and this is a first for us...

No, I am serious we are paying $400 for a replacement glass today...sucks but custy is handling well.

Our glass guy say it is the way the mirror is positioned on the glass. He says the slightest extra weight, can cause a break in the interior of the glass, so yes, you can break them from adjusting the mirror.

He says it is most of the domestics that are starting to use this thinner laminated glass and he literally replaces the windshields after a rock chip now.

So we are offically done tinting the front strips on Fords or any mirror that needs to be removed...can't be spending all my money on replacement glass. This stuff really pisses me off because I want domestic autos to be successful but then they do cheap stuff like this...how much money do you have to spend to get quality anymore...this is a $28,000 car...

Oh, and Ford told the customer that they have never heard of that before and that he should call his insurance. Bullshit. He says this is the last Ford he will buy. Way to go, Ford, lost another one.

And by the way, we have all the tools and decided not to remove the mirror, just to adjust the mirror downward and it cracked, the customer could have done it, all we heard was a pop, we didn't force it or anything...we have been tinting for 15 years and this is a first for us...

I can say that yes 15 years never have I pulled down on a mirror and ford has one of the easiest mirrors to remove besides..not doing stripes anymore I hope it doesn hurt your bus.? the mustang stripe is one of my favorites and remove every mirror the right way with the right tool and always upward pressure NEVER DOWNWARD! and they come out perfect every time looking like this...

l_85a69ea5131c893dbe2a94cb38109856.jpg

I can say that yes 15 years never have I pulled down on a mirror and ford has one of the easiest mirrors to remove besides..not doing stripes anymore I hope it doesn hurt your bus.? the mustang stripe is one of my favorites and remove every mirror the right way with the right tool and always upward pressure NEVER DOWNWARD! and they come out perfect every time looking like this...

Dude,

This is something that is not just related to Ford's and like you, before it happened to me and considering the many many cars I have done with no problem I would have felt the same as you but it did happen to me at least twice that I can remember. In fact once there was no strip involved I just reached up to adjust the mirror to back out of the bay and "pop". It was just that easy. Sometimes :bingo happens.

Dude,

This is something that is not just related to Ford's and like you, before it happened to me and considering the many many cars I have done with no problem I would have felt the same as you but it did happen to me at least twice that I can remember. In fact once there was no strip involved I just reached up to adjust the mirror to back out of the bay and "pop". It was just that easy. Sometimes :bingo happens.

and surely you realize it's glass and not stone then?

yeah, I am just grateful custy is cool about it really, and lesson learned, we thought it might be a problem because some other dealer buds of ours said that the mirrors were POS ne way so...we won't do again...not worth the hassle...my shop lost money on this job and even if custy comes back for more work, it will take us 2 jobs to recover and profit from it, so blah...but glad that lesson is over and we are moving on...lol...back to work...the laminated glass thing is really a problem with the midwestern heat and with the laws changing (maybe) around here hopefully we will just be able to not offer it on certain cars and be fine $$$$$ wise...

Is a shame to, tint job was flawless...lol...

Guest scottydosnntkno
yeah, I am just grateful custy is cool about it really, and lesson learned, we thought it might be a problem because some other dealer buds of ours said that the mirrors were POS ne way so...we won't do again...not worth the hassle...my shop lost money on this job and even if custy comes back for more work, it will take us 2 jobs to recover and profit from it, so blah...but glad that lesson is over and we are moving on...lol...back to work...the laminated glass thing is really a problem with the midwestern heat and with the laws changing (maybe) around here hopefully we will just be able to not offer it on certain cars and be fine $$$$$ wise...

Is a shame to, tint job was flawless...lol...

I feel the same way. Fords are the only mirrors I refused to remove up until I cracked one off. I HAVE the special tool, and stick cracked a windshield with it trying to use it, as I was on the phone with a dealer tech on how to do it. That small crack was thankfully repairable. After breaking the mirror clean off the MKZ two weeks ago, I now added to my waiver that every customer signs if they want work done that at no time will I removed a rear view mirror whether its for a strip or a full shield. The customer is responsible for getting it off or having someone else do it, otherwise I'll just make a splice cut over it. Noone has found it unreasonable in the last few weeks, and understands that its for insurance reasons.

wow, I guess we need a how to video on how to remove mirrors... one thing that I never mentioned is I live in florida and as long as you have comp. ins. its a free replacement. so even if one got broke in my shop there wouldnt be any hassle do to florida laws under comp ins. "replacement is free" I thought all state had comp. ins. and for a person not to have comp. ins. on a brand new car "just doesnt heppen in florida"

Guest scottydosnntkno
wow, I guess we need a how to video on how to remove mirrors... one thing that I never mentioned is I live in florida and as long as you have comp. ins. its a free replacement. so even if one got broke in my shop there wouldnt be any hassle do to florida laws under comp ins. "replacement is free" I thought all state had comp. ins. and for a person not to have comp. ins. on a brand new car "just doesnt heppen in florida"

we have to have insurance in michigan too but not full comp. You can have PL/PD if you have an old beater. Even still our glass coverage carries a $150-250 deductible depending on the carrier.

Archived