I would like to hear some opinions

Right now I am using First cut and as far as I know it is pretty good, but I have had a couple problems with it I.e. Lines in the film or pattern doesn't seem to be quite right. I have tried the one that the Llumar distributor carried but I can't remember the name, it sucked domkey balls. I had heard that Avery,a patterns and material were top notch but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Just wanted to get everyones two cents. I know that everyone is going to be partial to there own but maybe y'all could give me some selling point and tell me what you don't like about the others you have used. Thanks

Suck it up and go with Xpel. You'll have every kit for every car in the past 15 years and new ones are done pretty much as soon as it comes out. I tried using Venture when I was drinking 3M's kool aid and it was horrible. The kits are so hit and miss. Some are spot on and others are like WTF!!! There is ZERO support from the factory. I even pointed out an entirely wrong bumper (Euro spec in US library) and they did nothing about it! It's still there so I assume people are still cutting it! With Xpel you get consistency and support. Yes you will pay for it but it evens out by knowing you can do any car on the road with no problems and you waste a lot less film. You can also customize your patterns. Wrapped edges, bikin! cuts, etc. Got a cheap skate? You can cut down a 24in hood to 12in and charge less.

I believe the Avery patterns you are referring to is Proform, which you get when you sign up for the DAP. These are excellent also. They have a slightly different design approach to Xpel and offer some other pieces. Both pattern companies are excellent so it comes down to what ever pattern I feel comfortable installing on that particular car.

If you can't install using an Xpel or Proform pattern, you should find another job!

Suck it up and go with Xpel. You'll have every kit for every car in the past 15 years and new ones are done pretty much as soon as it comes out. I tried using Venture when I was drinking 3M's kool aid and it was horrible. The kits are so hit and miss. Some are spot on and others are like WTF!!! There is ZERO support from the factory. I even pointed out an entirely wrong bumper (Euro spec in US library) and they did nothing about it! It's still there so I assume people are still cutting it! With Xpel you get consistency and support. Yes you will pay for it but it evens out by knowing you can do any car on the road with no problems and you waste a lot less film. You can also customize your patterns. Wrapped edges, bikin! cuts, etc. Got a cheap skate? You can cut down a 24in hood to 12in and charge less.

I believe the Avery patterns you are referring to is Proform, which you get when you sign up for the DAP. These are excellent also. They have a slightly different design approach to Xpel and offer some other pieces. Both pattern companies are excellent so it comes down to what ever pattern I feel comfortable installing on that particular car.

If you can't install using an Xpel or Proform pattern, you should find another job!

3M owns VentureShield, but thats it. The material is still made at the VentureShield factory. It is not MADE by 3M, otherwise I wouldt use it. Anyway, it matters what program you use for the kits. I use FirstCut as well, and for the most part the ppf patterns have been pretty good. Could they be better, sure. I have done every current body style Nissan and have saved all the patterns for those vehicles in the user files after changing the dimensions on them to better suit me. I dont know about other programs, but with FirstCut, you can change anything about the pattern. Should there be an issue with a pattern, just change it for the next install. Before I cut any kit, I almost always shorten it by a half inch or so because I like to stretch them past problem spots.

I have no basis for comparison against other kits though, FirstCut is all I have used. I suppose I have the upper hand though. FirstCut is right here in Houston at Enpro, so should I have an issue, I can got talk to Woody or Cody and they get it straightened out.

Enpro is who I buy my kits from but I am seriously looking into getting a plotter and was just wondering what everyone thinks. I have run into a couple of problems with firstcut but Enpro has alway just cut me a new pattern without charging. They always take care of me in that aspect. But I am ready to start modifying them myself to my own liking.

Guest Josh @ Proform
Right now I am using First cut and as far as I know it is pretty good, but I have had a couple problems with it I.e. Lines in the film or pattern doesn't seem to be quite right. I have tried the one that the Llumar distributor carried but I can't remember the name, it sucked domkey balls. I had heard that Avery,a patterns and material were top notch but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Just wanted to get everyones two cents. I know that everyone is going to be partial to there own but maybe y'all could give me some selling point and tell me what you don't like about the others you have used. Thanks

Call Melissa at Pro-Tect and she should be able to get you a sample of Avery film with a Proform design (assuming there are still samples rolls in stock they go pretty quick). Let her know I sent you.

702-577-7217

Enpro is who I buy my kits from but I am seriously looking into getting a plotter and was just wondering what everyone thinks. I have run into a couple of problems with firstcut but Enpro has alway just cut me a new pattern without charging. They always take care of me in that aspect. But I am ready to start modifying them myself to my own liking.

My advice is if you do not have a plotter as of yet do not get one right now. The reason is with the economy being so bad... and possibly getting much worse, save your money and keep it in the bank instead of extending yourself 5-6 grand (just for the plotter, not to mention stocking film and buying cuts/patterns). That money will help you make it through rough times... like now and if it gets worse and business comes to a halt, well you wont have an expensive plotter sitting there or in a contract to buy patterns every month. I have seen a lot of business's shut down due to high overhead costs.

Now I will admit the proform and Xpel make great pattens, but I do not like either of their films. I have found VentureShield Ultra and ClearMask AR to be the best two films out there so thats what I use. ClearMask patterns are pretty good and I have never had an issue with any of them. I have had VS Ultra cut with a Proform pattern and I have found it to be one of the best combos out there. Too bad Proform limits themselves to Avery... they would do a much better business if they expanded the films they would use. I know I would buy more from them... but I do not like Avery at all. Way too much orange peel for my clients...

Guest Josh @ Proform

My advice is if you do not have a plotter as of yet do not get one right now. The reason is with the economy being so bad... and possibly getting much worse, save your money and keep it in the bank instead of extending yourself 5-6 grand (just for the plotter, not to mention stocking film and buying cuts/patterns). That money will help you make it through rough times... like now and if it gets worse and business comes to a halt, well you wont have an expensive plotter sitting there or in a contract to buy patterns every month. I have seen a lot of business's shut down due to high overhead costs.

Now I will admit the proform and Xpel make great pattens, but I do not like either of their films. I have found VentureShield Ultra and ClearMask AR to be the best two films out there so thats what I use. ClearMask patterns are pretty good and I have never had an issue with any of them. I have had VS Ultra cut with a Proform pattern and I have found it to be one of the best combos out there. Too bad Proform limits themselves to Avery... they would do a much better business if they expanded the films they would use. I know I would buy more from them... but I do not like Avery at all. Way too much orange peel for my clients...

We do not have our own film. Installers use what ever film they like with our designs.....clearshield, avery, 3m, venture....it is up to them.

I have had VS Ultra cut with a Proform pattern and I have found it to be one of the best combos out there. Too bad Proform limits themselves to Avery... they would do a much better business if they expanded the films they would use. I know I would buy more from them... but I do not like Avery at all. Way too much orange peel for my clients...

Hi HTP, and thanks for the compliment. I will reiterate what Josh has said. Years back when Mike and I took Proform to the design level, our goal was to provide the best possible fitting designs and kits. Although at the time we were both film distributors, only Mike at Pro-tect remains one. I no longer distribute film or train here at the corporate office in Maryland. Our goal has been and always will be to only provide you with the best designs so you/the owners can make the best decisions for how your business runs. Mike and Pro-tect use and distribute Avery Dennison, and here in Maryland I still use 3M. Our patterns are designed to fit using whatever film you choose. If you have any questions about using our designs, please fell free to get hold of Melissa, or any of us at info(at)proformdesign.com...Rob

Archived