vinyl or paint matrix

ive been doing vinyl over top of matrix lately but would like to try painting the dots instead now. I know stan paints them, just wondering what the process of blacking out the dots with paint is....or if it is even a good idea to change from the vinyl to the paint?

Guest thatsnappyguy

whatever you do, dont paint them. so many other methods to do before you resort to such a thing.

glue

hang and dry

alcohol

vinyl the inside

vinyl the outside

never ever paint anything...why? well lets see...overspray, the smell it leaves in the car, the mess it can make,...what

else you wanna know about painting?

ive been doing vinyl over top of matrix lately but would like to try painting the dots instead now. I know stan paints them, just wondering what the process of blacking out the dots with paint is....or if it is even a good idea to change from the vinyl to the paint?

I glued some today and it made me like paint even more. :) This is just IMO and I know the best way to do anything is the way that works best for each of us. :beer

To paint the dots I make sure the film is dry after tinting up to the first or second line then run a piece of tape across the window barely covering the film. Next I use the shark skin with tape already applied (home depot 36 inch) and cover the tape I ran across the window and then use the same material to cover the top and sides of the window and pull it out over the back window top bottom and sides. Cover the seat and if you want put a small fan on one side of the car to pull out fumes. Now it is ready to paint. I use the semi flat black Krylon spray and make a tack coat over the dots and let it dry for a few minutes. The next coat covers pretty good but I continue with more coats letting each dry, usually 2 or 3 till all light is eliminated. sounds complicated but is pretty easy and takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Works great and have never had a problem with the process or come backs for the last 15 years on thousands of cars. In Oregon legal film is 50% so with it the film blends in with the dots and usually does not need painted, just the darker film.

Cheers dudes

hey stan what about a paint brush method, would that work just as good? just gotta find the same paint but in canned form so I can dip the brush in.

Dan never used a brush :beer never a problem with over spray, smell, mess or complaint from customer but that's just me. The new Krylon semi flat is called satin.

hey stan what about a paint brush method, would that work just as good? just gotta find the same paint but in canned form so I can dip the brush in.

Dan never used a brush :dunno never a problem with over spray, smell, mess or complaint from customer but that's just me. The new Krylon semi flat is called satin.

Have you did this on any HIGH END cars stan?

Sounds kind of risky.

:spank:lol :lol :lol

Archived