toyota recalls

Neutral and shut the car off... leave the key turned so the wheel doesn't lock. Not that complicated.

Would not use the ebrake though. Not the brightest idea.

So are they discontinuing that type of floormat? Is that the recall? And destroying the ones they get back in?

Emergency brake would be fine. It doesnt give full braking, and its only the rear. I wouldent smash it to the floor at 120 though. :dunno Why the hell would they call it emergency brake if it was not for an emergency? I think the pedal sticking would qualify.

its a little more complicated than that. its push start and my lexus forum gave explanations of what could have been done. they said slam it into reverse or downshifting it and blowing the motor would have been the best thing. slamming on the brakes is too risky. its obvious the driver didnt know it was the floormat that caused the problem. and panic had set in. I didnt hear the 911 call cause it was removed.

the recall is to make sure it doesnt happen again. toyota/lexus will double check the hooks to make sure they are in working order. they ask to remove them now just in case they arent. it doesnt hurt to tell your customer and warn them.

Caution. Error In Toyota Floor Mats Can Cause Accident

« on: Yesterday at 09:49:23 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"A stuck open accelerator pedal may result in very high vehicle speeds and make it difficult to stop a vehicle, which could cause a crash, serious injury or death,"

The recall will affect 2007-2010 model year Toyota Camry, 2005-2010 Toyota Avalon, 2004-2009 Toyota Prius, 2005-2010 Tacoma, 2007-2010 Toyota Tundra, 2007-2010 Lexus ES350 and 2006-2010 Lexus IS250 and IS350.

The Japanese automaker warned owners that if they think their vehicle is accelerating out of control, they should check to see whether their floor mat is under the pedal. If a driver can't remove the floor mat, Toyota advises drivers to step on the brake pedal with both feet until the vehicle slows and then try to put it into neutral and switch the ignition to accessory power.

OK so toyota says this^^^^^ O yea I forgot about anti-lock brakes. :dunno

Guest scottydosnntkno
Neutral and shut the car off... leave the key turned so the wheel doesn't lock. Not that complicated.

Would not use the ebrake though. Not the brightest idea.

So are they discontinuing that type of floormat? Is that the recall? And destroying the ones they get back in?

Emergency brake would be fine. It doesnt give full braking, and its only the rear. I wouldent smash it to the floor at 120 though. :chick Why the hell would they call it emergency brake if it was not for an emergency? I think the pedal sticking would qualify.

:woowoo

and vip, you would be fine to apply the brakes. Not slam them on all at once, but gradually applying them would work fine. It wouldn't be the best thing for the car or the engine, but at that point its the last of your worries. The brakes would be strong enough to override the engine, and if you slowly applied them they would work just as normal, only it would take longer to stop. Theoretically at a certain point if you let off the engine would override them and start to do a burnout, but being a lexus if its FWD that wouldn't really hurt anything since you would still have rear braking power applied.

Guest absolutetinting

I thought it was when the cars go through a car wash. the guys who vacuums don't put it back the proper way. they just put it on the floor board w/out hooking the latch. my tacoma are the same way. my wifes benz has that sticky foam and never slides. and your right this should apply to all vehicles.

Guest scottydosnntkno
I thought it was when the cars go through a car wash. the guys who vacuums don't put it back the proper way. they just put it on the floor board w/out hooking the latch. my tacoma are the same way. my wifes benz has that sticky foam and never slides. and your right this should apply to all vehicles.

at the detail place I worked for we always made sure to put them back on the hooks. Like my car since its so low I always push on it apparently so its always sliding forward. On my car it doesn't affect anything, unless somehow the entire floor mat gets pushed forward.

There are holes in the mats, since I have floor mats out of a dodge nitro I got my from dad that were getting thrown out :chick

this has been going on for years now, they have been adding hooks to keep the matts from sliding forward. I have a hook on my matt thats was installed in my mercurcy. I think it was in 98 when I had my honda civic which had a recall also.....

you would think that this would of been a passed as a law/safty feature back in the 90's

Archived