Floating Dry Shrinking

I just came across a video from sunstopper tint and I notice the guy in the video shrink the side window differently. He shrinks the film from the glass board instead of laying the film on the window. He called it floating dry shrinking where he shrinks the side window by lifting the bottom of the film and heating it down. I havent got the chance to try this yet but I am wondering if any of u guys have and if it works. You can watch the video here to know what exactly I am talking about.

skip to 6:30

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just came across a video from sunstopper tint and I notice the guy in the video shrink the side window differently. He shrinks the film from the glass board instead of laying the film on the window. He called it floating dry shrinking where he shrinks the side window by lifting the bottom of the film and heating it down. I havent got the chance to try this yet but I am wondering if any of u guys have and if it works. You can watch the video here to know what exactly I am talking about.

skip to 6:30

I have seen this video and tried this technique. But never saw a real need for it I always remove the gaskets and heat fingers after the install if needed.I think he is trying to avoid fingers at the bottom when not removing gaskets.

Yup most here call that snapping, I was told curling a long time ago. I too do it on the board on some of the curvier roll ups. But I do shrink on the doors of the real curvy ones like vettes and bugs. I actually dry shrink those doors

funny I do vettes on the car "I get it close then move the pattterns over to the wall to even out the edges. I get crazy short fingers from shrinking on the car. it also give me the chance to add a little more curve to the pattern so that it will snapp in/float in / curle in..lol what ever term we all choose to use?

Guest thatsnappyguy

I was playing around one day with a vette and snapped the doors, and its fit like a glove. thats like a milestone. but then I tried it again and failed.

I was playing around one day with a vette and snapped the doors, and its fit like a glove. thats like a milestone. but then I tried it again and failed.

its crazy how one day it works fine and the next not so great...I've snapped more than I've trashed by far...use this technique on ever car, from flat back glass on a truck to a curved window of a beetle....great feeling when uyou snap a vette..mad props snappyI can say its faster to snapp off the car..since my film comes straight off the plotter to my glass wall...cut weeded and shank...."I think its cool that I've snapped a back glass of a fusion"mile stone for me...

Archived