If there is an accident and there is 8mil installed on a car...

If there is an accident and there is 8 mil installed on a car's rolldown windows..how does a rescue crew get you out if they cannot open the doors ? I get that the film saves glass flying in the face and keeps it all in tact , but what about in a severe accident..how are the rescue team getting you out ? I'm just curious, do they go through the windshield ? start breaking through the other flass hoping it's just regular tint on them and not safety film ?

I'm curious if the safety film is more of a liability in a severe accident rather than just the positive benefits in a minor accident and theft ?

I guess what I'm asking is what is a rescue procedure in a severe accident..I always thought it would be just busting out the rolldown and pulling someone out , jaws of life second . Jaws of life take up valuble time though if you could have just smashed out the window and free the victim

I think the thing is and would be that a car door glass is not sealed to the edges. It is just a floating glass on most sides and that solid piece of filmed glass would be able to be removed. I would say it would be a few seconds more but not much more....

I have seen a vehicle that had just regular tint on it that was rolled and the glass was still there and the occupant was VERY happy that he had tint film on it....

As an Volunteer Firefighter/EMT, it would slow us down a bit, but not enough to put anyone in jeopardy. We have some pretty cool tools.

This is good to know :lol2 I'd hate to install this and put someone in jeopordy rather than my attempt to help them with flying fragments of glass ..

The issue, as I have stated before, is not the flying glass reduxtion, but 8 mil on a piece of glass makes it harder to break. Side glass is designed to break easier. If your head hits it in an accident, there is more opportunity for damage to YOU if the glass cannot break at the pressure it is designed for.

We did a demonstration for the local fire dept., because they had the same concerns. Believe me there tools can penatrate any thickness film. It actually proved to be beneficial to the fireman because the glass came out in one piece and the glass stayed attached to the film. Their pic axe pierced the glass and film like it was going through butter. At the same time the fireman pulled on the axe and the glass folded and popped right out of the frame. There was no attachment system in place. They also used other tools like a chainsaw to see if they could cut through it.

In my experience in a serious car accident all the filmed glass blew out of its frames on impact to the roof in a roll over. The only window left in the car was the windshield and a left rear window. The windshield glass broke but stayed in place. And the rest was on the highway intact because of the film. The downside to this was a child was ejected with the glass. The driver was pinned. I was in the passenger seat unbelted in a reclined position sleeping when the wreck happened and climbed through the drivers side rear window opening to get out.

In an accident rescue will get you out one way or another. Do you remember the accident that happened to princess Diana? The reason the car looked the way it did was because rescue tore the car apart with saws and the jaws of life.

IMO 8 mil isnt going to slow rescue down. It has its pros and cons like anything else.

I'm figuring that the pick ax works in pulling the glass out because of what side the film is on ..outward pressure from within a car you should be able to get out no problem..it's the inward towards the film that the strength of the film does its job as long as the film is recessed around the whole perimeter of the door

Archived