Residential % Energy Savings

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

It depends on the state and latitude too... some states power is real cheap so you can reduce a lot of Kwh's but it is not going to knock a huge $$$ amount off of a power bill. :duel

The main way is to find out if they use their a/c. I have custys that never use their a/c and ask how much money will they save. Answer is almost nothing. Tint saves energy usage of your a/c and maybe ceiling fans. If you never use them you won't save any money.

If they use them regularly, they will run about 40percent less if there is proper insulation and good windows. Most of heat gain in a house is due to untreated windows. Cut that down and you should be looking at a good savings

It depends on the state and latitude too... some states power is real cheap so you can reduce a lot of Kwh's but it is not going to knock a huge $$$ amount off of a power bill. :duel

I am in Colorado. Latitude: 39° 43' North. I am looking more for the energy savings NOT necessarily the $ savings.

I always tell my customers who do all their windows to expect about a 30% savings on their heating/cooling costs up here in Ohio.

If someone ever asked you to back that up with some sort of literature or research , what would you show them ? (I'd like to know since I've never heard of such information in print)

Well the best proof I have is, I did my entire 3000sf home with Geoshield IRs-70 and JWF Ceramic 35 about two years ago. My wife is very organized and keeps our gas and electric bills for five years before tossing them out....for some unknown reason...lol. I added up the bills for the two years prior to the film install and then added up the bills for the two years the film has been on. I noticed about a 35% decrease in the bills. I know there are quite a few variables and it wasn't exactly a controlled scientific experiment but I am confident the film was responsible for a bulk of that decrease. I feel confident that I am not misleading my customers and I have never been asked to prove my word.

Guest vclimber
I always tell my customers who do all their windows to expect about a 30% savings on their heating/cooling costs up here in Ohio.

If someone ever asked you to back that up with some sort of literature or research , what would you show them ? (I'd like to know since I've never heard of such information in print)

I don't know about saving 30% on heating costs, that sounds out of line.

There is this:

According to the EPA Energy Star Buildings Manual in the United States, approximately half of a home's utility bills are wasted by loss of heat and heat gain through untreated windows.

So if:

Window film can reject up to 79% of the heat gain, then you can expect it to make a significant improvement in "cooling costs" but due to the lack of uniformity in people's cooling set point habits, the type of cooling system used, the price of power, the exposure, latitude, sq footage of glass, type of glass, etc... it is hard to put a stock percentage of savings. Common sense says that there will be an improvement making things better than if they were left as is.

Archived