Does Solar Guard have a light film??

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hahaha. Too funny. I love this site. :lol

Alright.. I'll call them tomorrow and try and get some samples. I'm tired of Llumar and the problems I've been having with the film curling due to something or another. I was told they changed the CDF which is causing this problem - which I've had with both Vista and Llumar and it's starting to really annoy me.

RoAcH

Changed something that worked, guess I better look into this one :lol

Roach, What are you installing the cdf with? Dish soap, Baby Shampoo? X100?

What are you installing the cdf with? Dish soap, Baby Shampoo? X100

On friday's job - Johnson's baby shampoo... but I've also tried Joy dish soap and same thing. I'm going to order X100 on monday cause until I can find something else, I'll continue to use llumar.. and I really don't feel like getting call backs for the film curling. I got a call from the job I did on friday - two double hungs had to be redone due to that... :(

RoAcH

What are you installing the cdf with? Dish soap, Baby Shampoo? X100

On friday's job - Johnson's baby shampoo... but I've also tried Joy dish soap and same thing. I'm going to order X100 on monday cause until I can find something else, I'll continue to use llumar.. and I really don't feel like getting call backs for the film curling. I got a call from the job I did on friday - two double hungs had to be redone due to that... :(

RoAcH

Over the years it has been determined that dish soap is not your friend while installing window film. Baby shampoo is best used with PS adhesive, however, even the glycerine found in baby shampoo causes adhesion issues, more specifically with dry adhesive like CDF.

X100/Dirt-Off is the best for dry adhesive installs because it aids in speeding up the adhesive activation process (a chemical reaction to the solution).

I have run tests here at CPF using a variety of install solutions to hang CDF film against a horizontally suspended pane of glass (simulating skylite) and found that dish soap/baby shampoo installs began to pull away and the X100/Dirt-Off install remained unaffected (by the force of gravity).

On the outside the only thing closer to performing well was Film-On with CDF, which should be used with copper and silver based film types.

1 ounce of X1oo to 1 quart (filtered) water and if you wish to use it in greater concentration for more aggressive adhesive activation, the recommend is no more than 3-4 ounces X1oo to 1 quart water.

If this does not solve the issue, then I would suggest looking at the specific product run as a contributor to the problem. :rollin

X100/Dirt-Off is the best for dry adhesive installs because it aids in speeding up the adhesive activation process

I'm going to be ordering some tools next week, and I am going to try the X100 and see if that doesn't help. Since the problem isn't on every install, when I was working for another company, it was hard to tell if the X100 fixed the problem or not... I guess we should have used it on every job and not just here and there to get a better read of the situation.

In any event, from here on out, I'll be using the X100.

Guest Film Maverick

Roach -

do you peel your film with your teeth like I do? If so, don't do it with with the X-100.

I walked away from the " try this solution" bullsh*t last year. couln't be happier!

Archived