Problem Installing LLumar CDF

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest mikeMN
I fit with plain water, and have found a brand new blade(olfa snapoff) on every cut helps, as you get a good clean cut each time.

If only plain water is used.expect a longer time for it to dissipate through the film.then it would if the recommended application solution was used. twocents.gif

Guest vclimber
Times like this is when I really like using PS. No edge curl. :D

I'd like to know where the 3M PET manufacturing plant is too? Can't find it on mapquest. :lol

:hmmm ...vclimber Why is this film curling?.. And what do you think would help with this issue? As in regards to an installation technique used :hmmm ..use more X-100 :nope and keep that stuff away from shiny marble counter tops. :lol

Could be too much tension in the re-wind process...

But if that was the case why dose it then curl away from the glass?

Remember, we're talking about Llumar, guess what side of the roll the adhesive is on? Hint... not the same side as 3M :D

Could be old inventory with high tension re-wind...

perhaps in regards to being old, but it sounds like this is accruing a lot and with different film types,so that possibility I would think NOT

It's called "memory."

Could be moving air hitting the film and drying out the edges before the cdf starts to bite...

But this is happening at the bottom of windows that are vertical,and water will follow gravity.Plus others have said it will lay down,if given a little time.

Premature drying due to airflow is a common cause of curling but not the cause of all curling. I just stated it as a possibility, like I said a picture would help narrow things down.

Coulb be inadquate prep work...

are you saying that many of the pro installers on here are not preparing glass properly?plus if given time it will lay down even with contamination.

:nopeYes

Could be direct sun...

Looks like Blade has ruled that out.

He lives in Washington. There's no sun up there. :lol

If it was winter, then It'd say could be the cold...

I agree and would not like to use CDF in cold weather.

That's one reason I like PS adhesive. :D

Could be poor edge cutting skills...

I could see that happen with a dull blade being used as it would produce a bad edge.but again we are talking professional installs,and on many windows on the same job occurring.

Can you get me a count of how many "pros" are experiencing curling?

Hard to tell without a pic but all of those factors can contribute to edge curl. The obvious one u can't control is the mfg production issue.

let me paint a picture for you,the film is curling away from the glass at a 60 degree angle.what do you think now? :lol

Show me a picture please.

Sometimes more x-100 works, the high ph actives the cdf quicker but sometimes there is not much else you can do without compromising install quality. :lol

you may want to rethink this one

I could give you the long answer but you do not answer my questions so maybe it just sit on it for now.

Now were is that factory? I want to take tour with v4v. :lol

why do you know so much on the technical side of film.as you have given very little in regards to the install part? just asking.

factory....here I had thought you know every thing,..... :thumb .......... :lol2

Well there are so many 3Mers websites spouting off about a poly factory somewhere, I thought I'd go take a tour... if I can find it. Can you point the way? :bingo

Guest mikeMN

vclimber I know the first question you answered was right,just checking to see if you really known that for sure.like I don't know what side the liner is on :beer .

Just like a very new company dose this as well.do you know what one I am referring to?

as far as the answer to this curling issue,my uneducated guess would be in the manufacturing.

However on the Install side 1 thing to help with this,would be to change the technique recommended as in the direction and "pressure" of the squeegee pattern

used upon the application of said film.

Guest vclimber
vclimber I know the first question you answered was right,just checking to see if you really known that for sure.like I don't know what side the liner is on :beer .

Just like a very new company dose this as well.do you know what one I am referring to?

as far as the answer to this curling issue,my uneducated guess would be in the manufacturing.

However on the Install side 1 thing to help with this,would be to change the technique recommended as in the direction and "pressure" of the squeegee pattern

Mike... you don't have to test me, I know how to install. :beer

Mike... you don't have to test me, I know how to install. :D

:lol I think Mike sometimes forgets there actually are other professional tinters in the world. :lol:beer

Guest vclimber

Mike... you don't have to test me, I know how to install. :D

:lol I think Mike sometimes forgets there actually are other professional tinters in the world. :lol:beer

It was a nice try but I've installed miles of Llumar over the years. :D

Guest teamfutaba
vclimber I know the first question you answered was right,just checking to see if you really known that for sure.like I don't know what side the liner is on :lol2 .

Mike... you don't have to test me, I know how to install. :lol2

:nope I think Mike sometimes forgets there actually are other professional tinters in the world. :beer:shoot1

It was a nice try but I've installed miles of Llumar over the years. :moa

I think more than one of us lost our virginity to llumar, I know I sure did... remember the rainbow boxes

PS adhesive is nice to install on flat glass when you have a helper to pull the liner on bigger panes, it grabs so much faster :rollin ...But I suppose a dry or cdf adhesive is supposed to last many more moons than a ps adhesive..I was reading some llumar literature on their cdf adhesive the other day where it says they've never had a single adhesive failure case on cdf, I beg to differ :poke Seen it a couple times myself, not many..but a few cases..

There are tricks you can use for large pane PS work when flying solo. My customers call them in to me all the time.

No (or low) adhesive failure is not unique to Llumar CDF. CDF is a terrific system, but it's far from the only durable flat glass glue. PS has many advantages and a very short learning curve. Practically all of us have installed Blackout, Whiteout, 2Mil Clear Safety, Frost Matte, etc. Those are PS only. If you can handle dry, you can handle PS.

-Howard

Archived