Ventureshield Warranty

I keep getting people that are phone shopping telling me that the other shops have a life time warranty. So I ask what film is that? They say Venture. So I have to explain the whole change up. So I have been letting custys know about this upfront, so I don't loose jobs to other shops that don't keep up on the products they use.

We see that over here as well, however in Europe that contravenes some nasty consumer legislation, I am building a dossier to take action against these guys as they are effectively scamming the consumer by stating that this still exists when it is well known it does not.

I would suggest that you look at doing the same, I would imagine there are similar rules in the US against deliberately misleading consumers?

Cheers

Just got my packet of Ventureshield Warranty Cards. The warranty is for 5 years and does NOT cover yellowing. No more lifetime warranty - which was worthless anyway BUT many installers still used it as a selling feature.

Got the news at SEMA that 3M is investigating putting the yellowing back in to the VentureShield warranty, however, after taking initial control of VS, they didn't have any actual test data to see if they could do it. They are testing the film now, though it will likely be months before we see results.

Part of the reasoning behind 3M offering a 5 year warranty is that 3M products are sold globally and thus exposed to all sorts of different conditions. In So Cal we have one of our personal cars protected with 3M SGH and it looks great after 7 years... while it might not perform the same in, say, Saudi Arabia (though it actually might).

One nice option of choosing 3M, is the ability to offer a tiered product. VentureShield at one price point, and 3M SGH with the yellowing component of the warranty, and the ability to wet sand and polish the film as an upgrade.

tango2 and untouchable, while we have conveyed to all of our Venture customers that the lifetime warranty is no longer (and I would assume other distributors have done the same), we have heard that a few shops are still offering the lifetime warranty on their own behalf. Risky? maybe... but if it works for their business model, good for them... I guess. I prefer the honest approach. Let the customer know the truth to make an informed decission

I know that the consumer likes having a warranty, and rightfully, but at the end of the day it's just like insurance... a numbers game for the manufacturer and that warranty is built in to the price somewhere.

Speaking of which, I am dangerously close in mileage to kick myself for purchasing the extended warranty on my Tacoma.

Hope this info helps make sense of it all.

Cheers,

Jason

Just got my packet of Ventureshield Warranty Cards. The warranty is for 5 years and does NOT cover yellowing. No more lifetime warranty - which was worthless anyway BUT many installers still used it as a selling feature.

Got the news at SEMA that 3M is investigating putting the yellowing back in to the VentureShield warranty, however, after taking initial control of VS, they didn't have any actual test data to see if they could do it. They are testing the film now, though it will likely be months before we see results.

Part of the reasoning behind 3M offering a 5 year warranty is that 3M products are sold globally and thus exposed to all sorts of different conditions. In So Cal we have one of our personal cars protected with 3M SGH and it looks great after 7 years... while it might not perform the same in, say, Saudi Arabia (though it actually might).

One nice option of choosing 3M, is the ability to offer a tiered product. VentureShield at one price point, and 3M SGH with the yellowing component of the warranty, and the ability to wet sand and polish the film as an upgrade.

tango2 and untouchable, while we have conveyed to all of our Venture customers that the lifetime warranty is no longer (and I would assume other distributors have done the same), we have heard that a few shops are still offering the lifetime warranty on their own behalf. Risky? maybe... but if it works for their business model, good for them... I guess. I prefer the honest approach. Let the customer know the truth to make an informed decission

I know that the consumer likes having a warranty, and rightfully, but at the end of the day it's just like insurance... a numbers game for the manufacturer and that warranty is built in to the price somewhere.

Speaking of which, I am dangerously close in mileage to kick myself for purchasing the extended warranty on my Tacoma.

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks for the info, however you will have to pardon me for being sceptical given VS always claimed tons of test data (strength 6 times and now twice as strong as the nearest comnpetitor) and that was how they could offer the "lifetime warranty". Basically you are saying they didnt have any so these claims were all BS then?

As for "shops running the risk themselves" sure they are, most of them dont have the fiscal backing to run such a program, sounds more like a run and dump strategy for most of them, basically if it all goes wrong dump the company and run then start a new one the next day.

Unfortunately none of this will inspire confidence in the market place and that is what is key here. What 3M seem to be inferring by this uncertainty (and their actual words) is leaving aside environmental causes which can be reversed where film yellowing is concerned (with most films), that this film WILL actually YELLOW.

Top Marks to 3M for doing this to be fair, because for once a film manufacturer is apparrently telling the truth, its about time we saw some leadership and some solid ethical behaviour in this industry of ours, I applaud them for it.

Lets hope they set a trend here :lol2

3M recently changed VS using an improved adhesive, to improve tackiness thus making installs easier. I have only noticed yellowing VS on white vehicles (which makes sense) and have since refused to do white vehicles. VS and 3M ppf are still quite different. I installed a 3M kit last month and compared it to VS. The 3M kit was nothing but grainy and orange peel, while the VS looked crystal clear. Not to mention the 3M kit was impossible to stretch. You could certainly tell a clear bra was on the vehicle with the 3M kit.

I am considering switching to the nano product, BUT, I dont do very much ppf, so it doesnt make a whole lot of sense buying in bulk just to sit on it. TG and others have told me if I like VS, I will like Nano better. I just dont want to carry anything with 3M attached to it...even though they make some other great products, like vinyl...and sticky notes adhesive...oh, and painters tape.

As for the warranty, 5 years sounds great to me as well. I wish others would do the same. I have never given a warranty of any sorts for ppf. Its will at some point look like sh!t...which is the point of the product...to protect the paint. Why the hell would I want to redo a vehicle for peanuts 5 years down the road when the product has served its purpose?

Cheers,

Jason

I think the important point here is that the shops that are still selling the lifetime warranty need to let their customers know that this is only backed by their shop and not the film comapny. Nor is it nationwide. Otherwise there could be quite a bit of confusion and a few unhappy campers.

I think the important point here is that the shops that are still selling the lifetime warranty need to let their customers know that this is only backed by their shop and not the film comapny. Nor is it nationwide. Otherwise there could be quite a bit of confusion and a few unhappy campers.

Yeah, I would agree, Jeff. In the end, however, if the customer is getting warranty paperwork from the installer it will be either from the manufacturer or the shop. If from the manufacturer it will show 5 years.

Baba, sorry to hear this. Not sure what the circumstances were, but I understand that it can be frustrating dealing with a company that employs 70k+ people. Communication and infighting is likely to take place especially between multiple divisions. We sometimes deal with it as well. As a distributor, however, we like to stick up for our customers... It's as much our job to represent the installers to 3M, as it is to sell products.

Archived