What is the most difficult thing you have tinted ?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did an art gallery with some old crusty 4mil film r/r a few years back. I think it was only 8 81x60 windows that took two days to do. Whatta nightmare that job was. Film came off in tiny triangles. I got a broom handle and put my triumph on the end of it and went to town on it.

Good stories. I am enjoying this one . Mine has been yachts for several years. I also did a pre civil war home once with 4 mil security film back when I first got started. 270 panes, and I quoted it at like $7.75 a sq ft..lol. I did not know any thing about pricing. Worked 16 hours for 3 days to do it. The contractor looked at me and said he knew I had underbid it, and felt really bad . He asked if I was gonna raise the price on him. I told him my price was my word regardless of how difficult it was. The company respected that, and they have sent me a dozen projects since.

I'm not sure about what has been the hardest. I know I don't like to do FP to very much. We have done several monster homes on Marthas Vineyard and Nantucket that have all TDL with painted or stained panes. Most of the houses have 1500 pieces plus. They pay good but after a few days you want to use your Olfa on your own throat. One in particular was a large oval like 5 feet tall and 2 feet wide with a octagon in the center and a million other shapes ( none of them square ) around it. Painted frames with plenty of sawdust for everyone. That is one of my worst ever.

Guest filmslayer

very tough question ! i can remember my first few of the really hard cars (we all know ) then there has been french panes siliconed in , a couple of old boats would be up there as well ....

i did a huge window this summer total glass size was about 90 inches tall and i wanna say the dam thing was about 8 ft across. The building was an auto dealership in the 50's. The kicker was that the window had been divided by a wall and turned into offices over the years. Your could see the 2x4's and drywall from the out side. I ended up talking the building owner into letting me put a 6 inch black vynil stripe down the outside to hide were the window had been divided. After i got it done, looked like 2 tinted windows instead of a large window with a 2x4 in the middle of it.

I tinted the department of Motor vehicles office with 8mil in Deland ,fl and the windows where over 100 inches tall and 2 foot at the top went up in the ceiling towel which i had to remove and then put back! That job sucked the life out of me!

That sounds like hell !!!! Good story man . I hope you got paid what it was worth

Archived