glass breakage

not taking any risks only using approved FTG types on clead double pane. how many of yall have experienced glass breakage and how often.

two lately with interior glass cracks. seems like i cant catch a break...no pun intended. warranty should cover no problem. just wanted to know others

that have seen or experieced same. (maybe it will give me some comfort lol)

If you do this long enough, you will break some windows. After a few, you will see the warning signs before there are problems

interesting comment. plesae explain your warning signs. clear double pane, direct sunlight, 8yr old house vinyl windows. I tinted the whole house front and back with SG 35% SS. This is the only window cracked (top part). just assumed a flaw in window and film helped show it...

I've had a few break.... and I'd guess all cases were due to the glass/window not the film, simply because there were other windows right next to them - same exposure, same everything, and they were fine.

Film manu covered them so it wasn't a problem, and the customers all understood it wasn't the film since they even said none of the other windows broke.

As long as you take care of any problems post haste, odds are the customers will be ok. My x-boss used to fight them all the time on anything - he'd rather get a bad name then take care of any problems, even if he felt it wasn't the fault of the film. Who cares... unless it's a $3,000 window, take care of it and keep the customer happy. :wall

If you do this long enough, you will break some windows. After a few, you will see the warning signs before there are problems

interesting comment. plesae explain your warning signs. clear double pane, direct sunlight, 8yr old house vinyl windows. I tinted the whole house front and back with SG 35% SS. This is the only window cracked (top part). just assumed a flaw in window and film helped show it...

There are several issues:

The solar absorption of the film. Many 35% films are not recommended for dual pane.

Shading on the glass from an overhang or trees. There is an uneven distribution of the heat across the glass surface.

Temperature variation; particularly in a short amount of time.

Elevation-altitude - One reason the mountain states have more glass breakage issues.

Size of the glass.

When in doubt check with your film manufacturer tech people.

It happens. If you avoid the worst film to glass combinations you will probably not see too many.

But you can't predict it. I've had multiple failures at jobs with "safe" film to glass combinations. And there have been times people have wanted me to do very "unsafe" jobs. And after I've first warned them of the potential for breakage I've done them. And there have been no problems.

Just a couple other things you will encounter. Old nasty frames with hardened caulking, brand new glass the installer jammed into place and put a clam on the edge ( impossible to see) until the window cracks. Glass laying on or against a screw or nail in the jamb. Shall I go on

Thanks for all the help. its just fustrating to do a good job and then...

good thing on this one and one other that cracked on me is that both are personal friends and all is fine.

just got to go thru the steps now on repairs.

i guess just like yall...take the olfa cut to the finger and keep on tinting.

Guest fredstinting
Thanks for all the help. its just fustrating to do a good job and then...

good thing on this one and one other that cracked on me is that both are personal friends and all is fine.

just got to go thru the steps now on repairs.

i guess just like yall...take the olfa cut to the finger and keep on tinting.

when im going double pain windows i use a low e type film from sungard . they have approved films for double paine window which is like solar bronze and silver and a few others . i have done alot of double pain windows in florida . many new homes have double pain hurricane windows to meet the dade county code . so far i have not had any problems with them .

Archived